Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » BT announce sucessful acquisition of PlusNet PLC
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: BT announce sucessful acquisition of PlusNet PLC  (Read 29601 times)
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 10:27:30 pm »

if traffic management is 'not necessary' how come 'big' businesses are now building it into networks (linux servers) to cope. ?

i cant remember who it was, but i seem to remember reading they wanted some deep packet inspection stuff, for a number of reasons - 1 was to give priority for http traffic, and the other was so that they could see who was using how much bandwidth, and on what.

Indeed. We certainly see that traffic management is just going to get bigger and more important as more people use more interactive stuff and people hook up their TVs and set top boxes to their broadband connections.

It's no secret that usage is going to increase and increase quite considerably over the next few years as more people use VoIP and online gaming and the video on demand services like BT Vision start to take off and people buy things like Apple TV.

In order for to ensure that people get the quality of service they want traffic management is key.

Think about it, 310mb/s is quite alot of bandwidth for saying theres what, 200,00 customers ? how many of these use p2p/usenet/spend endless hours on a computer.

We've added a further 155Mbps since that post too. As for how many use P2P and Usenet, I'm not sure on the P2P but Ian posted the other day saying it was about 600 people in an average day that use binary usenet out of just a tad under 200,000.

im sure everything you can legally get off p2p is pretty small anyway right ?  grin :mrgreen:

Well, that's another arguement, but as an ISP the legallity of what someone is downloading isn't something for us to determine. For example, someone may be downloading <insert film/TV show/software> from a <whatever> source but they may be a film reviewer or work for the studio in question and have the permission to download it, but not something we can determine and as I say is a whole other debate.

Agreed, i set myself up a 'home' mailserver to collect all my emails when PN was having a few 'issues' with their platform, not a problem it downloaded most of my emails overnight, and delivered them to me on demand smiley

Me too Smiley

If it wasn't for traffic shaping, i think that id be much worse off for instance...

I don't know what you use, but chances are that you would be either in that the price of the product you were on was significantly higher in order to keep network utilisation low enough to avoid packet loss and ping spikes across the board on all types of traffic, or you would be seeing those ping spikes and packet loss.

And when i saw BT were buying out plusnet i was horrified to start

Don't think you were the only one but the way that BT want PlusNet to develop is certainly a good thing. The change of ownership has given us the opportunity to make changes to the business model to give more bandwidth to Broadband Plus and Premier, it's allowing us to change the You Stay, We Pay offer to 12 months instead of 5 years and putting us in prime position to take advantage of BT's new Retail Internet Network. Lots of other good stuff going on too, BT Fusion and BT Vision are in the development stack, new products are due next month and I'm sure there's other good stuff I've not mentioned.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
Matt_2k34

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 10:38:23 pm »

yay i did something good and correct laugh lol

Agreed, i set myself up a 'home' mailserver to collect all my emails when PN was having a few 'issues' with their platform, not a problem it downloaded most of my emails overnight, and delivered them to me on demand smiley

Me too Smiley

^^ yeah but your not 16 smiley

Sad to see pn not taking the wholesale chance to get binary usenet onto the newsgroups service. especially if it was within your own network, or at least a direct link to it - surely would save on money for people 'buying' other packages and downloading into your network ?

*kicks linux box* right, start again Smiley

-----------
=)
Matt_2k34

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2007, 02:40:32 pm »

So, just for me, what "capacity" does PN actually have, an idiots guide would be great, smiley

Oh, and the person ranting and raving about entanet... take alook at that link you posted not long ago...

http://noc.enta.net/

Since 21th March, - 10th April, either its VERY up to date, or theres something abit amiss...

Code:
Unmetered Dial Issues - 0808 993 3413
Emergency ADSL Connections
SMTP mail problems
Outgoing mail problems
Radius problems
LNS crash
Incident Report: Routing Instability - 20th March 2007
Incident Report: Early DSL maintenance

To name the ones between the dates specified,  grin  grin

But i must admit, i like the "Central Status" they have, maybe PN could adopt this, perhaps if it was broken up into segments it might be better, showing what segments are under so much load ?  grin

-----------
=)
ianwild

Not to be confused with Mike, Wildmind.

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2007, 05:23:41 pm »

We already break the reporting into segments - http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml

As we approach things so differently to them, I'm not sure per central traffic light would work for us.

Ian

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Support
Ultra

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 06:54:36 am »

We've added a further 155Mbps since that post too. As for how many use P2P and Usenet, I'm not sure on the P2P but Ian posted the other day saying it was about 600 people in an average day that use binary usenet out of just a tad under 200,000.
Kinda begs the question "Why did you not outsource binary Usenet" then ?  I can understand that there might be some excessive use(rs) in those 600, but if there were clear limits (say 30 GB for Premier, 10 GB for PAYG, 5 GB for BB+) could the traffic not have been acceptable ?  How would it compare (assuming the 600 were broken down in proportion to the account types, or even /all/ Premier)  against the traffic for peer-to-peer over the course of a month  (ie Usenet  600 x 30 GB = 18000, or ~300 GB a day... Peer-to-Peer...  XXXX users x YYY GB = ZZZZZZ, or  Huh??  GB a day... 

Would be an interesting comparison, since I know a Usenet service charging $6 a month with a 2 GB /day limit  and while someone might have such an account, I guess PN would need to spend far more than 600 x $6 to cover the type of charges a Usenet feed company might want knowing you have 200,000 customers, even if the number of active ones re Usenet were very low...

I can accept that for the number of interested parties, each one paying $6 to $15 a month for service may be more sensible, and with PAYG / Premier quite easy for them to "get their fill" within off-peak hours at low cost to them (and little to you, too).
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: