Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » BT announce sucessful acquisition of PlusNet PLC
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: BT announce sucessful acquisition of PlusNet PLC  (Read 29612 times)
lmartin

Comms Team

« on: January 24, 2007, 09:30:37 am »

We are pleased to confirm that this morning, at 7am, BT announced to the London Stock Exchange that they had sucessfully completed their acquisition of PlusNet PLC.

We have produced a page on our website so that you can see confirmation of the takeover, as well as our plans for 2007.

Click here to view our Plans for 2007

Please keep all discussion surrounding the takeover and our Plans for 2007 to this thread. We'll be here all day to answer your questions and comments.

Liam Martin
PlusNet Comms Team
Oldjim

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 04:35:35 pm »

Probably in the too difficult category at the moment but are there any intentions to implement the BT restriction on using other e-mail accounts.
See this link and selecting on "Can I keep and use my current (non-BT) email address and use it with BT Yahoo! Mail?" you get this statement
"Yes, providing you keep your non-BT subscription and configure your Outlook Express mail account settings to retrieve these emails. In order to send emails using your existing account you'll have to connect to your existing provider or access them using web mail (if available). If you've a broadband connection you'll only be able to send email when using your BT Yahoo! Mail account settings."
Jaowon

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 05:22:57 pm »

18 months to 2 years down the line. Plusnet will be merged into BT.

Bookmark this post :p
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:29:16 pm »

Probably in the too difficult category at the moment but are there any intentions to implement the BT restriction on using other e-mail accounts.

No plans on doing this, so long as the domain of the sender's address has valid MX records then we've no problem allowing customers to send mail from a non-PlusNet domain or non-PlusNet hosted domain and no plans to change this at all.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
kevanf1

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 12:35:30 pm »

Oh my god NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  I left BT a few years ago because they were utter pants!  sad  I want to use stronger language but am restraining myself.  I know of people who work for BT Internet and the situation has not improved  sad 

I foresee a future of scouting out a new ISP....again!
JBailey

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 12:53:33 pm »

It's very important to stress that we are not BT.

We are keeping our own staff.
We are keeping our own products.
We are keeping our own building.
We WILL be making various improvements as covered in the Vision documetnthat you may have read.

Seriously, this isn't cause for a knee jerk reaction.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
ToeKnee

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:18:34 pm »

Now that PlusNet are owned by BT, will migrations to Tiscali LLU be stopped in favour of BT ADSL Max?

If so, are users currently on Tiscali LLU likely to be migrated back to BT?

Do PlusNet have any plans to impose download limits like many of the BT Retail products?

JBailey

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 03:04:42 pm »

Not currently.
Not currently.
Not currently (very unlikely).

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
Ultra

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 06:48:20 pm »

Thanks James.   I hope everyone in PN HQ feels safer about their jobs, after possibly seeing 'rumours' or 'speculation' (from non-customers, in particular) about such matters.   

Hopefully things will settle down and everyone, staff and customers, can feel confident about things improving in the face of "new management" (depending on how much interaction there is from BT - I've not really taken in any official or unofficial comments as I'd have expected some degree of uncertainty/speculation from any source in the earliest days of change).
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 09:48:31 pm »

One question everyone appears to have missed so far, is why was PlusNet so important to BT that they bought them.

Its not as though PlusNet are a major competitor to BT, hell they dont even have enough customers for the competition commission to worry about the purchase.

So my guess, its for one of the following:
1) Ellacoya experience (Not convinced about this, if they wanted to use that route, then surely it would be easier buying the staff from PN and after recent issues - are they really wanting to get involved with Ellacoya's?)

2) Portal ( Again this would be easier to buy staff to develop it then a company! )

3) Workplace (certainly this is possible, workplace has been poor, but recently improved again, an easy way to get hold of workplace?? - Of course, they could just license it from PN (Freeserve were going to do this I think?) and surely its a bit late in the day to need a platform for BT's customers, you'd expect that their system is well sorted by now.

4) A BTRetail backdoor into the LLU marketplace? Every other large ISP is moving at least some of its customers onto LLU due to a cheaper price at wholesale level than BTWholesale, It would make national press if BTRetail stopped using BTWholesale for circuits, however with PN already with their feet in the door of LLU, then what's to stop them progressing further. Of course the other way to see it is the top bods at BT wont allow this to happen, so will veto it, and dump LLU from PN too!

5) All of the above, make it a much more attractive total package than individual items that they need.

What your thoughts?? (perhaps i should of started a new topic elswhere, please feel free to move Smiley

Ultra

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 11:34:05 pm »

Don't think it was missed - there was query in "some other place" about why BT would pay over the odds (three times the cost of taking {some number of users} for {some large sum} in the case of {some other ISP takeover}) 

I don't recall the details, it was one of the 'usual suspects' and there was probably some "once bought, they'll sack everyone within weeks" type ending, which was plucked from fresh air, I'd guess...
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 12:24:41 am »

One question everyone appears to have missed so far, is why was PlusNet so important to BT that they bought them.

By buying PlusNet what have they bought?

They've bought 200,000 customers, yes (and I'll quote a bit from an earlier post I made)

Just as an aside, we paid about £1.7m for Metronet with 16,000 customers (£106.25 per customer)
Carphone Warhouse paid about £360m for AOL how had about 2.1m customers (£171.43 per customer)
BT paid £67m for us with about 200,000 customers (which would work out at about £335 per customer).

So obviously just based on that calculation alone BT have paid a premium on top of the "price per customer" value.

So what else do they get? They get the PlusNet staff, the PlusNet culture, the PlusNet methodology, they get us and what we do as PlusNet.

So yeah, there's the traffic management, which is the very key part of the future of broadband. Broadband in the next couple of years is going to grow into the service that provides VoIP, Web 2.0 and video on demand and other funky stuff to the mass market and that isn't going to be via IPStream. New products like Broadband Connect from BT are being designed with applications like these in mind whereas IPStream came from a time that was designed with browsing and email and bursty traffic in mind and it's with traffic management that this will come about.

Workplace too as you list is another valuable asset (and we include the portal as part of workplace as it's the pretty side). You're right about Freeserve wanting it at one point but they instead decided to get one guy to code them something for them which needed the XML files manually editing in notepad before you could upload them to BT (I know because I had to do it for them).

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 12:48:30 am »

Thanks for taking the time to reply Dave,

I already understand where some of the PN staff stand on their thoughts of the take over, I just wondered if there was anyone else out there who had other ideas as to what made BT spend double what other ISP's have been bought for by buying PN.

I'm sure deep down a couple of people know exactly why, however i think it would also be very silly for them to say why on a public forum (BT have bought PN for a reason or reasons, whatever they might be!).

I'm also not convinced about your views on traffic management, certainly I don't believe that its going to become "common" to the depths and restrictions that PN have tried or are trying to run it too. Remember, you've got 1 company which is writing the apps to read traffic signatures in order to shape, compared to a whole world of people trying to write apps to work around the restrictions, no matter how hard your try, it will cracked time and time again.

JBailey

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 09:31:24 am »

Hi Tam,

What do you think will happen to the majority of ISPs, especially those that use IPStream once they all have a similar proprtion of their customers on IPStream Max?  Their usage will increase considerly, and I'm fairly certain that they won't be investing £xm in new central capacity to cover for the increased usage.  It's simply not profitable.

We've seen other ISP's, most recently Entanet implementing solutions to managed traffic.  This will be the continuing trend, as essentially, the amount of usage per customer will continue to rise.  We don't make a massive profit, maybe £1 per customer per month, and with the removal of YSWP, our gains are gong to be less.

Entanet are a perfect example of why traffic management is essential.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
mrmojo

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 06:35:04 pm »

Riiight. Entanet are implementing traffic shaping because of the long lead times on BTw centrals. You could blame them for that but considering they've only very recently had another one installed I don't think they can be totally for blame.

At the end of the day, Entanet's network is a trillion times better for their customers than yours is for your customers. Their network is running at full speed for all protocols for roughly 20+ hours a day, yours is full nearly 24/7, 22hours it's maxed out and massive packet loss is being endured. Entanet have ordered more capacity in the last 12 monthish than Plusnet's had for the last 5 years.

But of course, don't let me stop you slagging off other ISPs who can deliver a far better service than you have been for roughly the same price. Keep on with the 2kB/s p2p on premier tactic, I'm sure it'll work as well as your email 'strategy' over the last few months Sad.

Bit of professionalism really wouldn't go amiss to be honest.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: