Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » Broadband network capacity update
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Broadband network capacity update  (Read 5861 times)
lmartin

Comms Team

« on: January 18, 2007, 05:26:40 pm »

From Neil Armstrong, PlusNet Products Director :

Quote from: Neil Armstrong
Introduction
Our biggest challenge over the last two years has been balancing the need to have a profitable and scalable product proposition whilst delivering good value to our customers. While we’ve been doing this, the use of broadband applications has exploded, yet the wholesale infrastructure that all ISPs work with has not scaled accordingly. In 2006 we saw increasing average usage, driven by faster speeds and more video and music downloads. We envisage that this growth in usage will continue throughout 2007, due to new technologies like Web 2.0 and TV on demand.

When we design any broadband product we plan to provide an amount of network capacity per customer. That drives how much capacity we buy, which in turn drives our costs. To allow for the envisaged growth in usage, we intend to increase the amount of network capacity per customer. We believe that this extra scale will provide an excellent customer experience.

New BT Central pipe on order
We have now ordered an additional 622Mb/s BT Central pipe, which we expect to be available in March. We intend to activate two segments of this immediately; this means our total capacity will grow by 12.5%. Our estimated timescales are based on the lead times being met by both BT and our network equipment suppliers.

A key issue we face at the moment which is affecting customers using USB modems on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday evenings is a shortage of sessions. This has been caused by an increase in session concurrency due to an increase in background traffic (caused by viruses) and an increase in the proportion of customers using routers. Adding additional capacity now will provide us with extra sessions at peak times and gives us further room for growth.

We’re taking some short term steps to deal with this including introducing a network-based personal firewall for customers. The PlusNet Usergroup has been giving us some feedback on this.

We are also looking at some alternative network options to give us some short-term increases in sessions ahead of our new BT Central pipe arriving. We will be inviting a group of customers to trial this alternate access network provided by BT in the next week or so. We will trial this with staff accounts first, then PUG members and then open the trial up to the wider customer base. It is likely that this will be open only to Pay As You Go customers and will not support static IP addressing.

2007 & 2008
May 2007 should see new BT Wholesale pricing which will give us the opportunity to review our product designs. We are planning our network strategy with BT which means we will be able to assure the quality and customer experience of our products.

We will be providing more information to all customers by email and on our website when the proposed acquisition by BT completes during the coming weeks.

Kind regards,

Neil Armstrong
Products Director
PlusNet

Liam Martin
PlusNet Comms Team
Oldjim

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 05:38:58 pm »

Very good news but I have a question - does this mean that the automatic disconnect policy on BB+ has been negated by the use of routers.
lmartin

Comms Team

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 05:47:57 pm »

Not really.  More people on Premier and PAYG have opted to use routers (instead of modems where they would only connect as and when they required their connection) - and the idle timeout on Broadband Plus is not as effective as it should be due to the increase in background traffic.

Liam Martin
PlusNet Comms Team
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 09:05:21 am »

Could i please ask that if the price changes *DO* change at wholesale level later this year, that PlusNet DONT take it as another opportunity to lower prices, but in fact use it as an opportunity to use the additional monies to invest in bandwidth (and no not shareholder profits!).

petervaughan
Usergroup Member

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 09:52:39 am »

Ultimately that may depend on what other ISPs do where PN may need to react to an industry lowering of prices.

However, I do agree that rather than try and compete at the low end of the market, and the fact that the cost of broadband is affordable to most people now, that the savings are used for adding additional bandwidth. This is even more important as customer usage increases so PN need the bandwidth 'in place' to not allow the fiasco of recent months/years! happening again.
JBailey

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 10:54:15 am »

Could i please ask that if the price changes *DO* change at wholesale level later this year, that PlusNet DONT take it as another opportunity to lower prices, but in fact use it as an opportunity to use the additional monies to invest in bandwidth (and no not shareholder profits!).

Hi Tam,

We firmly believe that for our products, we have the pricing pretty much spot on and as such have no plans to lower the prices.  You can have a look around at the "free" products some ISPs are offer, and all the difficulties that they have been having.  You can also look at Pipex's £6.50 offer - their user numbers haven't increased either.  They're also flatlining.

We'll be looking at using the added revenue to improving the products that we do offer, for example in terms of bandwidth to make them a more attractive product, but for the same price.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
jelv1

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 12:02:43 pm »

I think the number of people who have recently moved to PAYG shows that some people value quality more than just price.

I'm sure a campaign targeted at BB+ users in the 2 to 4 GB usage range who would like a better performing product for £16.49 might yield some additional revenues.

jelv
JBailey

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 02:28:08 pm »

I would always recommend those on that kind of usage range to move to PAYG.

But do agree with you.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
jelv1

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 03:44:29 pm »

The Metronet style of accounts were very popular - I hope the product refresh bears that in mind.

jelv
wildmind
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 03:45:43 pm »

That point has been made on several occassions by us - and I mentioned it specifically when I was at PN towers last week. Wink
JBailey

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 05:12:15 pm »

The Metronet style of accounts were very popular - I hope the product refresh bears that in mind.

Because they were unlimited? Wink

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: