Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » PUG waves farewell to Colin and opens up for new members.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: PUG waves farewell to Colin and opens up for new members.  (Read 9894 times)
dhookham
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 02:04:58 pm »

Something which doesn't always come across is that PUG is (and has always been) something we all do in our "spare" time. With the loss of Colin and Liam to the dark side, departures of several others such as Penny, and various pressures on others, those of us remaining were stretched pretty thin.

As Mike says, there's always been a wide range of knowledge and abilities since the days of Ian's initial group, but as well as this there needs to be people with the technical skills to handle the website, write communications, etc to ensure that information about activity taking place and any outputs is able to be made available in a timely manner. Things change fast in the ISP world and we know we've not always managed to reflect that with the speed of our communications.

However, I think the current situation is not a negative place to be - it puts us in a great position to embrace new people with fresh ideas and opinions.

It's the PlusNet Way
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 05:54:53 pm »

Well I have used Joomla, SMF, Etomite, & phpBB to varying degrees and would be capable of performing all sorts of housekeeping tasks on the portal/forums (though not coding, I know my limitations wink).

I have no intention though of PM'ing wildmind to secretly try and join a self selecting, unaccountable, clique - however well intentioned they are.  Have open and above board elections for full usergroup membership and I'll consider standing for that though, and if I can assist then with the portal/forum I would.  But as I said earlier, IMO membership should be primaraly about representing the userbase to Plusnet not about how good you are at building websites/forums.

Being short of skills in certain areas is no excuse for not holding open elections.  All you need to do is ask people to bear in mind those shortages when voting.
dhookham
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 07:44:15 pm »

membership should be primaraly about representing the userbase to Plusnet not about how good you are at building websites/forums.

Absolutely true, but it's equally true that no matter how good the usergroup is at representing the userbase if there's no-one able to turn the outputs of that representation into a format that can subsequently be communicated out to the users. We need to find the balance between people with the skills to maintain/develop the systems stuff, those whose focus is on communicating and the rest of us. The important thing about PUG is that everyone is able to bring something to the table, whether it be the aforementioned skills, or representing specific interests of the userbase.

It's the PlusNet Way
James

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 04:19:48 pm »

Any ideas when the posts will be filled?

I'm thinking of unstickying the announcements in the vISP boards - any objections?

~I'd actually prefer an update as to whats happening to stick into the threads then unsticky them somewhere down the line if possible.

Feel free to stick a comment in here, and I'll copy it across to the various announcements, or just drop into the portals/boards and add an update yourself.

Best Wishes - James

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand. - Chinese Proverb
James

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 09:22:25 am »

No update then? So much for serving the interests of Plusnet customers - we can't even get to find out whats going on.

Once again, some sort of acknowledgement might not have been a nad thing, even if there is no further information to release at this stage.

GRRRRR

Best Wishes - James

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand. - Chinese Proverb
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 01:06:58 pm »

If you'll pardon the pun James:

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose

rolleyes
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: