Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » PUG waves farewell to Colin and opens up for new members.
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: PUG waves farewell to Colin and opens up for new members.  (Read 9885 times)
wildmind
« on: January 08, 2007, 09:01:40 pm »

We've just posted an announcement which includes a bit of a recruitment push.

http://usergroup.plus.net/news_070108_colin.php

If you want to get more involved in PUG please read the article and follow the suggestions  :mrgreen:

Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 09:18:08 pm »

I vote for Simon (pr100) - Come on - that would be fun .. and a good writer too  tongue

I'll even give him one of my accounts to "manage" if necessary laugh laugh

strategici

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 11:17:07 pm »

I've tried to make contact through PM, but it doesn't seem to send the message (just returns me to my message with no error message when I preview or send). And the contact form is disabled. Could someone perhaps send me an email address or let me know what I'm doing wrong?
biondani

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 11:21:55 pm »

Try this link and see if that works any better.

Ian

3rd Line Wintel Support
Virgin Media XXL Customer
strategici

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 03:38:07 pm »

Still no joy - can't PM you either! Maybe I should try setting up a new account?
James

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 05:22:27 pm »

I've just sent you a PM so you can see if replying works.

If it does, perhaps one of the UG could send you one to reply to, which they could then pass on to Mike?

Best Wishes - James

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand. - Chinese Proverb
billbow

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 11:09:50 am »

Still no joy - can't PM you either! Maybe I should try setting up a new account?

You should have a PM

Cheers
Bill

Bill
MetroNet
plasedwards

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 08:46:06 pm »

We've just posted an announcement which includes a bit of a recruitment push.

http://usergroup.plus.net/news_070108_colin.php

If you want to get more involved in PUG please read the article and follow the suggestions  :mrgreen:

How many of PUG employed by PN does that make now?

No wonder they are so scared to criticise anything PN does
wildmind
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 08:51:33 pm »

3 in recent times - out of a total PUG membership of over 35 people in our history.

Trust me - we aint here to get jobs.... but if we do then do you a) blame us for accepting and b) blame PN for wanting people who know the industry and the business?

NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 09:28:14 pm »

If PUG want to recruit new members to replace those who have left wouldn't it be more democratic and representative of the userbase to have a public election process rather than a secretive selection process.  The current method give ammunition to the critics of PUG as we neither know who has applied, or by what method they were selected/rejected.

By my reckoning the PUG are predominently highly IT literate and, with few exceptions, male.  Whilst I accept the need for skilled people, acceptance into PUG should be about more than what skills you can bring to PUG.  Rather it should be about what type of wider user that person would be representative of, whether they have skills or not.

As I understood it the primary purpose of PUG was to represent the userbase in discussions with Plusnet. Whether you can write content for the PUG portal, write code for the PUG site, moderate the PUG forums, or do maintenance/housekeeping tasks on them is irrelevant - the PUG site is not the purpose of, or reason for acceptance to, PUG (or at least it shouldn't be).

Here is a challenge to the PUG - become more open and accountable to the wider userbase.

If you accept this challenge then induct a new member into the usergroup by means of a public election here on the forum to be truly a users representative. AFAIK the usergroup was initially selected by Ian W when set up, and PUG has picked those who have joined subsequently, and has NEVER had anyone become a member who was chosen by the userbase to represent them.
Ultra

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 04:37:56 pm »

I think northbritish has some good points, which probably need to be discussed by PUG before response.  For PUG, it would seem appropriate for an open invitation for interested parties to be made via a PN communication sent out to all customers (as part of a newsletter, perhaps), with explanation that PUG is using the communication facility to ensure it reaches those who are not regular visitors to the PUG site (which should get a further plug as it still seems to be secondary to the PN discussion section, whilst being a good umbrella for all parts of PN).   

Part of the background to PUG has been the involvement of non-technical users, including those who might not use this web discussion section...  It seems a regular thing to limit applications to those who are 'regulars' (good idea in some ways, but limiting in others).  Breaking that mould would be good, IMO.  It might be that some vote could be done around the end of March (admittedly a busy time, with the 'product refresh' likely to be under discussion between PUG/PN, too) but it would be timely to have some new PUG members to announce before / near the refresh, and they could 'see with new eyes' and give candid views on the proposed refresh, perhaps adding valuable insight as brand new PUG members.

I note that there was no mention in the 'announcements' on the PN discussion area about the PUG vacancies, whereas there's a piece about the vacancy for a moderator over there, along with a clear procedure for nominating, voting on, and acceptance of, a new moderator.  As northbritsh has pointed out, secretive selection gives ammunition to critics.

While not all aspects {of the PN forum moderator selection} are ideal - taking the first suggestion for why someone should be nominated as the piece to put out in public, for example - the overall method seems fair enough, and transparent - though there's no reporting of how many nominations were made but rejected (nor why).

(edit: correct a typo)
wildmind
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 06:04:54 pm »

Some valid points indeed - and we have in the past tried asking people to volunteer in public, and that didn't work too well and some found it a bit embarrassing.

The reason we are looking for specific roles this time out is that we have plenty of members with varying degrees of experience and understanding, across all the product sets and vISPS. What we are really short of is people to communicate what we are doing and develop new tools and keep the site up to date (especially as Colin has now joined PN and he was *the* developer. Losing Liam meant that I am the only "journo" and I no longer have the time I once had due to getting a new job)

That is the reason we need specific roles filling - simply to keep PUG running. The plan always has been to ask for other members once we have those roles filled and can keep on top of the site, news and development of PUGIT etc.
Ultra

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 08:04:53 pm »

In which case, with specific roles in mind, it could still be put out via a PN communication, to embrace a wider audience, and perhaps find someone who has yet to visit these pages!
James

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 11:05:47 am »

I can understand why people are put off applying - I did, and didn't even receive a thanks, but no thanks reply!

I realise that the UG probably won't want me, as I am far from keen on the way that things appear to be done ATM, but would have thought some response would be ellicited.

*sighs*

Hopefully whomever does get on board the UG train will find a way to make it a bigger part of the customer experience.

Best Wishes - James

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand. - Chinese Proverb
wildmind
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 11:08:21 am »

James,

That was my bad then - I though had PMd you to say thanks for the PM.
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: