Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Frequent inability to send/receive e-mails
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Frequent inability to send/receive e-mails  (Read 3922 times)
andrewperry

« on: December 21, 2006, 09:56:06 am »

Hi, I'm new here,

I run Windos XP (SP2) Outlook, Nortons Internet Security, and have a D-link router. 

I have had a long history of dialogue with Plusnet regarding error messages such as 0x800421a, 0x800ccc0d and another ...CCCF ?

All they seem able to say is that I should uninstall MS outlook Express (which I don't use), and "check my firewall (s) .

An IT advisor of my aquaintance who is familiar with my system maintains that the fault lies within Plusnet.

They seem unwilling to admit this or to assist, however I feel that I am not getting the service for which I am paying.

Can anybody advise/update me on this issue ?

Is the fault within my system or within Plusnet ?

Thanks, Silly Moustache

dhookham
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:14:34 am »

You say you are running Outlook XP SP2. There is a known issue with Outlook XP that causes you to get the 0x8004210A error which is corrected in SP3. Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827349/

0x800ccc0d errors are due to Outlook being unable to find the server. These may relate to the above problem, or alternatively, could be connected to poorly dns. If the SP3 patch doesn't help, a few other things to consider...
  • Are the lookup problems for local mail servers (ie the PlusNet one as opposed to external servers)?
  • Are the errors at all kinds of times, or generally only at certain times of the day?
  • Do you use the PlusNet assigned DNS or specific ones of your own choice? If the former, consider adding one or more alternatives (OpenDNS is a popular option).
  • Do you leave the PC running or boot each time you use it? If the former, it may be worth clearing the DNS cache - go to a command like prompt and enter IPCONFIG/FLUSHDNS.
  • Try a repair on the LAN connection to the router (right click the icon in the tray and select Repair)
  • Go into the network connections folder. Right click the LAN connection and select Disable. Wait a moment until the icon is marked with a red cross, then right click again and select Enable.

It's the PlusNet Way
Jaowon

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 03:57:53 pm »

Hi

Provide a few screenshots please of errors. Also check you arn't trying to use Authenticated SMTP.

Lastly run the following command from a CMD prompt to ensure your firewall isn't causing you problems:-

telnet relay.plus.net 25

You should get:-

220 relay.plus.net ESMTP Exim Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:56:41 +0000

type:-

quit

followed by enter exit the telnet session.
logiprime

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 12:51:58 pm »

I've had problems sending emails and the fault was definitely at Plustet end.

*Everyone* has had problems receiving emails recently, because of queues on their mail server.

Whether or you not have a problem specific to yourself, in addition to those above, is hard to say, but if you have a hotmail, yahoo or similar account, test using that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: