Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » New incoming SMTP servers
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New incoming SMTP servers  (Read 8699 times)
cynicalone
Plusnet Staff

« on: October 30, 2006, 01:50:23 pm »

Tomorrow we are going to start the process of migrating off of our existing mxcore, incoming SMTP, servers, to our new Sun T1000 powered platform. The migration will be done in the following way;

Tuesday, from 7am
6 of the mxcore servers initially will be modified to smarthost over to the new platform in one of our service centres.
At 10am a further 6 will be done if everything looks OK
Finally at 15:00 the remaining 10 servers will be setup to smart host over to the new platform

By using smart hosting we allow for a quick roll back if problems are encountered.

Wednesday, from 7am
The old platform will be changed to smarthost to the second service centre, which will be there for disater recovery purposes.

Only if both Wednesday and Tuesday are a success will we move to modifying the DNS. As this DNS change will take 48hours to propogate throughout the Internet, don't expect this final stage to take effect until next week.

I will post further details as the migration takes place.

Plusnet staff
Network Developer
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 02:06:10 pm »

Tomorrow we are going to start the process of migrating off of our existing mxcore, incoming SMTP, servers, to our new Sun T1000 powered platform. The migration will be done in the following way;

Tuesday, from 7am
6 of the mxcore servers initially will be modified to smarthost over to the new platform in one of our service centres.
At 10am a further 6 will be done if everything looks OK
Finally at 15:00 the remaining 10 servers will be setup to smart host over to the new platform

By using smart hosting we allow for a quick roll back if problems are encountered.

Wednesday, from 7am
The old platform will be changed to smarthost to the second service centre, which will be there for disater recovery purposes.

Only if both Wednesday and Tuesday are a success will we move to modifying the DNS. As this DNS change will take 48hours to propogate throughout the Internet, don't expect this final stage to take effect until next week.

I will post further details as the migration takes place.

Well .... that's all well and good,

BUT ....

Where is the service status for this?? - Why isn't this planned maintenance work that has been announced?? and WHY are you doing it in business hours!! angry

With so many issues with mail in the history of PlusNet - I'm certainly worried at this move in working hours.

If I was PlusNet I'd be withdrawing this work asap and coming up with a suitable NON-RUSHED action plan of doing this work.

mr_chris

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 09:09:33 am »

It seems a well thought out plan, but I have to agree with Tam here:

Where is the service status for this?? - Why isn't this planned maintenance work that has been announced??

Announcing the service status 10 hours before you're due to start work isn't really very good. You must have known about this before last night.

Chris
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 10:26:09 am »

Hmm, nice to see the Virus Scanner is configured differently on the new mailcores...

===========================================================
This email has been verified as Virus free
Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net
===========================================================

as a footer compared to the usual one of of:

--
This email has been verified as Virus free
Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Using: Plusnet Extra
cynicalone
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 11:48:58 am »

I have seen some errors in the logs on the new platform, that do appear on the older platform, but are causing me some concern. Due to this, to reduce risk to our customers, we have taken the decision to stop the roll out, and reduce the number of servers smarthosting through down from 6 to 2. This change will provide me the scope to investigate the problem fully prior to attempting the roll out again.

For those interested, the error is with communications from DSPAM to EXIM using BSMTP protocol. As this error has been causing some people a problem, as reported in tickets, we did not feel comforatble continuing without nailing down this error. As we using pipe lining between processes no email will have been lost, but it will have resulted in some delays.

Currently a resolution is expected before the end of the day, but this means that we will not be carrying out the work anticipated for Wednesday, but it is possible we will attempt the roll out as planned for today. I will try to give an update later on.

Plusnet staff
Network Developer
cynicalone
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 02:00:43 pm »

Just to let you know, I have nailed down the problem to dspam not handling = signs before newlines. Now I have to fix this, either through a method outside of dspam, or by patching dspam to handle this sequence.

Plusnet staff
Network Developer
Tam

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 02:25:12 pm »

And in the mean time.......

Service: Email
Posted: Tue, Oct 31 2006 at 13:54:45
Subject: Email Delays - NEW

We are currently aware of a problem causing some customers to experience delays in the arrrival of email to their mailboxes.

This problem is believed to be the result of increased mail queues affecting a number of servers across the platfrom. Our network engineers are currently working to reduce the queues on these servers and further information will be provided as it is made available.

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Customer Support

I see PlusNet NEVER learn  angry angry

Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 02:56:12 pm »

You assume, of course, that that has something to do with the new mailcores... considering it also happened on Friday or Saturday, before they were installed.

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
cynicalone
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 03:24:58 pm »

Yes, this would seem to be happening on the older platform as well. Therefore, this is my highest priority at the moment.

I now have more details. This seems to only happen with Mime encoded emails of the form quoted-printable. It seems that dspam is converting these to 8bit, and something is going wrong. What I am currently investigating is alternative mime conersion methods which would mitigate dspam having to do this work.

All of the new mxcore platform is out of the system now, and has been for a while. Once the problem was nailed down, and understood, we reverted it completely out of the system. Obviously this doesn't stop the existing platform having issues, but as the new signature file for virus scanning triggered the problem more often, it is the safest option.

Plusnet staff
Network Developer
jheffer

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 04:47:12 pm »

@Cynicalone

Bit off topic but.....Itís nice to read a set of emails that tell me what the problem is, and what you are doing about it. I do have a technical background, (ex Marconi engineer), I donít know exactly what you are talking about, but understand enough to get the general picture. As long as PN are prepared to share problems at this level Iíll stay.

John H
Ultra

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 07:19:47 pm »

It's nice they share information, but as far as advanced warning over work they plan to carry out, I've made comments time and again that they could do with longer before starting work, yet they still seem not to have taken the hint.   

Hardly affects me (not much of my e-mail goes onto PN servers) but for connections and other services, overnight work with under 48 hours notice is a "no no" IMO, whether it is "only" home users affected, but especially when it affects business users.  Some people can use the BT Data Vault service (and other similar off-site storage options) and appreciate not having a 20 GB backup interrupted!
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 07:21:45 pm »

When it affects connections, or takes down servers, then I can see the point of giving more notice. This doesn't appear to though...

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Tam

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 08:31:37 pm »

Is there a new date for these to be installed?

Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 08:38:16 pm »

I think they've been installed and there's work to move over to them through the rest of the week: http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1162836888.htm

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: