Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Business Users Forum » Usenet access via Business premier
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Usenet access via Business premier  (Read 51586 times)
Simon M

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2007, 09:55:30 am »

oops, sorry... I shall consider myself duly chastised Wink

Consider chastisement rescinded.  wink

Clearly Mand did not mean the Monday that I thought she meant.

I've been a bit busy myself this week, so haven't had much opportunity to check Usenet speeds, but my impression is that things are a little improved, at least off-peak.

I'll update the ticket to send a nudge in Mand's direction too. To be honest, I'm probably more concerned about the poor response to the ticket than I am about the Usenet speeds themselves. There is still quite a way to go before the ticket system has its credibility restored, which is a shame, because when it works, it works very well.

[Edit - added quote, as top of new page]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 10:59:07 am by Simon M »
mbeckett

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2007, 11:51:48 am »

Hi there,

I'm really sorry it's taken me a while to get this to you, I've been asked to help out with training this week so have not had much time to spend in the forums (although in theory it should reduce the amount of 'education' required Wink).

I'll chase this up for you today.

Once again apologies for the lack of response so far.

Kind Regards
Mand

Mand Beckett
Plusnet Comms Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
Simon M

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2007, 12:39:21 pm »

No problem Mand. There is no more important job you could be doing than some staff training. For some years, stuck on the back of my office door was a cutting that said "If you think that training is expensive, consider the cost of ignorance".

Plusnet have learned just how costly that is over the past year.

This is OT, but from an outsiders view, the Powerpoint slide should say:

Read the question & make sure you understand what is being asked.
     (This is often more difficult than it sounds - writing a good question is a skill in itself)
There is no shame in not knowing all the answers.
Make sure you know how to find the answers.
Don't give glib, irrelevant responses just to get your turnround figures up.
Don't patronise the customer - he may not be as stupid as he may have made himself appear.

spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2007, 01:12:21 pm »

Read the question & make sure you understand what is being asked.
     (This is often more difficult than it sounds - writing a good question is a skill in itself)

One of the skills of being a customer is also working out the question which the answer could relate to - it might not be the one you thought you'd asked.  Failure to appreciate this can be a cause of customer frustration.
Simon M

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2007, 07:37:18 pm »

Ah, but she didn't say WHICH monday Wink
* mr_chris hides from Mand

Well, it wasn't last Monday & it doesn't look like it's going to be this Monday.

I don't think you need to bother hiding - I think it's Mand who's done a disappearing act.  rolleyes

Either that or she's refereeing a 'discussion' between the Products team & Networks as to what performance we should be getting.

If all that nice extra capacity went to BB+ then the rest of us aren't going to see much improvement for a while yet.
mbeckett

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2007, 04:30:27 pm »

Hi there,

I've had the discussion with both networks and products.

The basic outcome was that Silver traffic has not been performing as we would have expected over the last few weeks.

The new capacity should improve this somewhat, and certainly seems to have from what we have seen reported across the forums and in tickets.

Is the problem still as bad as it was previously?

Kind Regards
Mand

Mand Beckett
Plusnet Comms Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
Simon M

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2007, 06:03:32 pm »

I've just run a trial download to see what sort of speed I'm getting at this time of day & a.b.automobiles on astraweb is managing about 15 KB/s with 4 connections running. The fluctuation is between around 7KB/S & low twenties.

I paused that & downloaded a 20MB file by http & during the download saw speeds vary between 250KB/s & 500KB/s, averaging out around 350KB/s.

If we go back three months, the speed were similar by either method.

My problem is that I don't use Usenet to download whole DVDs that I could schedule for overnight download. I might download one photograph from a set, to decide whether I wanted to download the rest. Or one 2 min film clip from 20 available. I pay for the quantity I download. What you are encouraging me to do is to switch to a time based Usenet account & set my newsreader to download everything from any group I am interested in on a continuous basis, then do my filtering once downloaded. That's not really in anybody's interest.

It still comes down to lack of information. When the slow speeds started, I couldn't find out if I had a problem, astraweb had a problem, or Plusnet had a problem. Gradually, it seems to be appearing that Plusnet has a problem that it is managing by restricting traffic, although no-one has yet said that the speeds I am getting are what would be expected in the circumstances.

I need to know that, because if they are and they are likely to continue, then the next question will be, should I change to a different account type. I am on an old business account & I don't really know which current product it equates to. Maybe I should change to a new PAYG account, but that will put my costs up & I certainly need to know I'm going to get a better result. Hence the original question - is the current performance in line with medium term expectations for my current product?
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2007, 09:37:29 pm »

If you want *proper* speeds on usenet ... You

a) Pay for your usage per GB - I.e. PAYG

OR

Change provider ...

I changed provider, an i can get an 850Kb/sec on http or usenet or ftp or anything else that i want when i want it, without having to worry about what time of day it is .... all i know is that i have full speed at all time and a 50Gb limit (which is fine by me as i only use 10 -12gb max anyway!)

moemoff

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2007, 11:26:33 am »

And how much more per month are you paying??
Ultra

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2007, 12:13:47 pm »

Probably nothing more to be on this one since Tam previously mentioned 45 pounds/month PN business account...  Unless PN includes the VAT.  Not that I'm recommending the other ISP, just comparing prices.
Oldjim

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2007, 12:16:46 pm »

looking at the numbers from the other supplier - probably a lot less
Ultra

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2007, 01:52:35 pm »

Depends on whether it is a business account, I guess.
Oldjim

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2007, 02:05:19 pm »

Yup - I was looking at small business not full business with the higher upload speed
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2007, 09:48:49 am »

Probably nothing more to be on this one since Tam previously mentioned 45 pounds/month PN business account...  Unless PN includes the VAT.  Not that I'm recommending the other ISP, just comparing prices.

Yep thats the one,

As a user, my usage is only 10 - 15Gb per month max, yet although I'm a low usage user (remember this is/was on an expensive business account) PN decided that I was no longer able to access usenet at any more than 10-20Kb sec on an 8mb line and other protocols varied depending on how PN felt each day. (this may have changed now and improved, but as I don't regularly use PN now, i don't know what the speeds are!)

I moved to a fixed limit line (50Gb p/m - which I will never get near!) and can now download ALL protocols at full max line speed any time of the day or night (couple of weeks ago I got slowdown, but this is now fixed - either ISP or exchange contention was the cause).

I'm much happier for it too Smiley

moemoff

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2007, 04:06:57 pm »

Hmmm well I get all I want for 29 (Including VAT) a month with PN (12gb PAYGO). 45 seems a lot to me. I get full speed on FTP ..which is what I use a lot and upload of about 90 to 100k a second.. especially evening and weekends. No need for P2P or Usenet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: