Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Business Users Forum » Usenet access via Business premier
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Usenet access via Business premier  (Read 51562 times)
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« on: October 17, 2006, 01:26:51 pm »

I notice that since the recent ellacoya bodge* roll out, that business users are being massivly restricted on usenet access.

For an account that does less than 10gb a month, pays 50 a month, i dont expect to be throttled to around 300Kb/sec on an 8mb line and thats with 8 threads open!

If i wanted that - i'd go and get a standard home user account at 20 a month.

So shape up PlusNet and give users who pay more - better allowances and speeds than cheap home users.

*I would say that the roll out is bodged as its quite clear that business users have been affected by the ellacoya changes - i'd go so far as to suggest that business users were forgotten about during the roll out and therefore are being treated exactly the same as a home user - even though they pay double what a home user does.

_CN_

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 09:56:13 pm »

Hi Tam

News is in gold for Business.  Look for DSCP 0x80 to confirm.
_CN_

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 09:58:08 pm »

To add -

If I test on SO23 (all titanium) on an 8Mb line with 8 threads I get about 450MB, lots of other factors stop my full line speed.
Tam

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 11:07:31 pm »

Hi Tam

News is in gold for Business.

That it maybe ... but if you drop gold traffic when busy ... it still doesnt help!

Tam

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

Hi Tam

News is in gold for Business.  Look for DSCP 0x80 to confirm.

Carl, and since then - my usage experience has been EXCELLENT a pleasure to spend 50 a month with PN ! - However in the last couple of days this has been changed.  angry   It appears to now have an DSF of 0x40  and my 134Kb/sec with 8 threads on what should be a 750Kb/sec download backs up my thoughts that this has once again being affected by PlusNet and their awful traffic shaping!

Without wanting to be rude ... fix it   shocked  (please!)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 06:17:05 pm by Tam »

CheesyNaan

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 10:59:39 am »

I've raised a ticket on this as I'm seeing the same on Homeworker Pro and the response was:

"I am sorry to say that the PUG post you read was out of date, the current business profile is to have binary usenet traffic categorised as Silver, which is what you are seing. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about this as the priorites for this type of traffic are enforced accross the entire platform."

Well my experience of it on silver has been 2000-6000 BYTES per second all weekend and every evening last week. Access to Giganews' website is also being restricted so severely I can't even log into my account. I think that's unacceptable, particularly as Giganews don't even have downloads from their site.

Once again, have PlusNet moved the goalposts and are throttling business traffic without so much as a warning or notification. What's next? FTP?
dhookham
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 12:07:45 pm »

I don't think it's limited to business... it was taking upwards of a minute just to load the giganews homepage yesterday (at that was at around 11am... it was timing out later on). Headers would stall for 30 seconds before coming down at about 6-10k/s. Bodies managed something of the order of 30-40k/s.

It's the PlusNet Way
Tam

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 05:04:57 pm »

Yep its official, its now silver.

That's why we have our mac code.

I dont mind if I did 100's of gigs a month on the line or even 10's of gigs a month on it, but seriously for the 3-4gb a month max usage on the line and its restricted without any warning before any usage limit (known or unknown!!) is stupid and a sure why to loose customers.

Just another nail in the coffin for this company to be honest.

jelv1

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 05:35:17 pm »

Tam,

How many accounts have you already migrated to elsewhere (or will be)?

jelv
Tam

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:38:44 pm »

3 macs to use this month when I get a chance.

I've moved 26 since shaping began on business connections (noticeably began i.e July/Aug last year).

Got a message from a customer today which i think will resolve in another 3 accounts going, and i suspect another customer will ask to move shortly (they have 5 lines).

Most of these are the most expensive business accounts, and funnily enough EVERY single one of them have been willing to pay MORE with another ISP to ensure they get the speed they need.

Also had a job for a customer which needed over 300 lines... didn't even think of PlusNet for that one! And they are more than happy with whom we recommended for them (so far  wink ).

jelv1

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 08:36:13 pm »

Are you in the Partner program?

jelv
Tam

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 08:38:46 pm »

Are you in the Partner program?

I have *no* idea what your talking about  cool

lmartin

Comms Team

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 10:03:25 am »

You don't need to be these days, now you can accrue referrals on a PAYG dialup account.

Liam Martin
PlusNet Comms Team
jelv1

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 10:20:09 am »

You've jumped to the wrong conclusion there Liam. I was referring to this!

I suspect Tam knew what I meant!

jelv
Tam

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 03:58:29 pm »

You've jumped to the wrong conclusion there Liam. I was referring to this!

I suspect Tam knew what I meant!

Indeed i did .... grin

Like i'd want to be a parter Of "BTNet"  cry cry cry

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: