Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » 'No speed found' is not a connection fault?
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'No speed found' is not a connection fault?  (Read 2016 times)
Kritifile

« on: October 04, 2006, 09:56:10 pm »

I have seen this complaint many times in the past, and now I have experienced it myself.

'Dear
The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.

Kind Regards,
Customer Support'

Fortunately I do have a connection, I just have a far higher attenuation than I should have, and regular resyncs in the evening that prevent me getting back to my 3 mb bras profile that I had for over 3 months (from the time I bought a router to early September).

I don't really expect there to be anything that can be done, especially as recently the exchange checker chnaged, now giving the green light to 2 mb fixed ADSL (I've always shown red for that) and 2.5 mb/s for max (was 3 mb/s). Something doesn't make sense there as BT don't provision lines on a 2 mb fixed rate if the line attenuation is 58-59dB. Of course I am under 1.8 km from my exchange, and before I got a new number my real line length was just over 3 km (don't know what it is now).

But that is OT. The important point is, if a CS agent says that my speed is 'none found' how can I not have a fault? I have seen this compained about many times, often from people with no connection at all. For me I suspect that a whoosh test was performed during one of the 4 times in an hour that my modem resynced.

Ticket ID: 20425405, follow-up from  ID: 20057069  which was originaly about VMBU, but just advised raising a fault, which I did.

Maybe it is just the way the 'no fault' script is worded, but somebody with a fault, especially a bad one, will not like being told that they have no fault because no speed was found.

BTW the old BT speedtester is no longer available on the link provided. I don't know if it is available elsewhere, but the new one requires being logged in to your ISP, so the instructions are incorrect. It also has never worked for me during peak times, in the evening, when it would be the most use.
Kritifile

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 11:08:28 pm »

The 'no speed found' means that no speed tests were recorded, in spite of the fact that, knowing I had to perform speed tests, I did more than 3 before logging the fault.

The fault reporting script should state that no speed tests are recorded which are performed before the fault is reported.
The BT speed tests performed before reporting the fault were the new type which do not require logging on with the BT speedtest username and say that the results are sent to the ISP. This was the link given me by CS, but it only works in the mornings.

Fault reported on Wednesday, asked to send speed reports, which I have been doing, so far approximately six BT tests plus PlusNet ones, and the telnet stats from my router.

This evening has been the worst for a long time. I had a period of regular disconnections and resyncs, had to wait to resync to a slower speed before I could complete the latest copy/paste of a BT speed test.

No reply since the explanation of 'no speed' now over 48 hours since the fault report. How many more speed tests are required? They won't show the fault, because that's not speed but low SNR margins, disconnections and resyncs in the evenings, and crc errors also in the evening. Speed tests don't show that. But I'll continue sending three a day until I get some answer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: