Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Tiscali axes jobs after Homechoice merger
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiscali axes jobs after Homechoice merger  (Read 3248 times)
annie1

« on: September 27, 2006, 12:53:52 pm »

Interesting piece in today's Media Guardian

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,1882146,00.html?gusrc=ticker-103704

Annie

Ultra

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 08:20:22 am »

The significant para, in my view, is the bit which says:

"The vast majority of the cuts will affect the customer operations and sales divisions of Homechoice." 

Given that Homechoice (video on demand service, using ADSL as the distribution mechanism) was only ever serving areas within the M25 (450,000 customers - perhaps 10% to 15% of homes?), and the original numbers of staff Tiscali (240) and Homechoice (580) it doesn't look like this change (losing 340 of 820) is going to cause problems at Tiscali.

Oooops - I got it wrong...  it was serving 45,000 customers.  I don't have the figures for Tiscali, but thought its numbers of broadband users had grown to around 1,000,000 (there used to be a 'top 10' list on www.net4now.com but it is no longer on the front page where it used to be, sorry!)

I have sympathy for staff whose jobs will go, but the fact Homechoice had a high number of staff and low number of customers makes it the obvious target in a merger situation...  I'd guess that sales have always been low (so cutting sales staff saves salaries), and perhaps 'customer relations' included engineers on the road to help with the VoD kit (sorry, I'm 200 miles away so don't know what the customers got as a 'set top box' but assume those might have been problematic)...  so maybe there was some 'dead wood' ('engineers' drinking tea) to be considered, too...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:28:01 am by NetGuy »
gabriel

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 12:01:07 pm »

Ah but what about the reports in the financial press about Tiscali selling off their UK operations.
ianwild

Not to be confused with Mike, Wildmind.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 01:45:31 pm »

It just goes to show what a difficult market this is to operate in - We've seen loads of drop-outs and acquisitions, and I'm sure we are far from the end of this journey (Some might say right now that we are in the calm eye of the storm).

The irony is that in another industry, without the 'bubble' that's going on, there are a load of companies here that are profitable and could be doing a lot better if it wasn't for the intense drive created by the silly money some retailers are throwing at Broadband customer acquisition.

In this industry, like so many others, no one's job is safe long term because anything can happen. It's certainly fun to watch, but pretty horrible to be on the recieving end I'm sure.......

Ian

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Support
bob_cat

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 08:43:59 pm »

My brother has HC, they did send round an engineer to do each installation. Their STB is a little silver thing, looks a bit like a MacMini. It's rather a good little service, the engineer even tells you the distance to the exchange exactly.

But... He recently parted ways with his girlfriend and the account was in her name, so he called to have it changed, but they couldn't do it. So they made him cancel the account, then they told him he couldn't get HC on his line! He pointed out that until minutes ago he already had HC. It took him a few days of arguing but they eventually agreed to activate it again!

Good concept, but I do dislike "computer says no...", they were in a little financial difficulty I believe, the margins were pretty tight.

--
Don't do the cheese if you can't do the dreams.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: