Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Another Speed Issue - Question 20229620
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Speed Issue - Question 20229620  (Read 10434 times)
alderholt
« on: September 08, 2006, 02:05:15 pm »

I have been having problems for several days now.   I am on ADSL Max but can only achieve 130 Kbps instead of my normal 950+.  Not had a response for 2 days now so any help would be appreciated.  My last comments were:

OK, this is what I have done so far. I have tried the Plusnet and Adslguide speed tests on 3 different computers (2 PCs and one Laptop) through my Netgear DG834g Wireless Modem Router and all give speed ratings of about 130Kbps. I have used all three previously without any issues. This would therefore preclude a configuration problem with the PC/Laptop. I then changed the router to my non wireless one - Netgear DG834 v2 (which I never had a problem with before - I only changed it to go wireless). I have tried both PCs and laptop with this and still only get about 130Kbps - so again this would mean there are no issues with the modem/router. I have logged onto the BT Speed test site 3 times with the following results:

128 Kbps at 09:05
126 Kbps at 10:15
130 Kbps at 11:20

My speed went as low as 109 Kbps and is still constantly at around 130 Kbps.  My upload is at 373 Kbps
JBailey

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 03:00:52 pm »

Hi there,

I've responded to your ticket.  I think the best way of solving this would be to move you back to a fixed rate product.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
alderholt
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 04:12:13 pm »

James,

The current speed falls well below BT's acceptable levels for a 1MB MAX link (200Kbps) so can't they be held responsible to deliver the correct speed.

To be honest the only reason I moved from my previous ISP was to get above 512KB and now after less than 2 months on it I'm being advised to move to a fixed level. I almost feel cheated.

Why would it be that this has happened ?
Is my MAX likely to revert back to 960+ ?
What are the fixed options that are available to me and their cost ?

Regards - Richard
JBailey

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 04:38:33 pm »

Hi Richard,

I think you misunderstood me.  I was offering tat option as I felt it would be a more acceptable situation for you.  Clearly it isn't, and I haven't placed any orders on your behalf.  I would never do that without your say so.

Regarding the bRAS dropping, it's possible that you had a rogue low sync event, which causes the speed to drop to that level, and is then reestablished after about 3 days, so hopfully speeds will return to what you were seeing previously.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
patmartin008

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 07:02:51 pm »

Hi Richard

Have you made any progress?

I have been averaging 130 kbps for over week and tried all the suggested tests etc. PN
have not been able to resolve anything.

Would appreciate any pointers as to why it could be happening...

Thanks

Patrick
alderholt
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 01:14:43 pm »

Patrick,

Unfortunately, I haven't gone any further forward.  FYI here are the latest bouts of correspondence I've had with the support team.   The responses haven't been of much help as yet - their view is to wait for 3 days.  I'll give them 4 days and chase them again.

Regards - Richard
-----------------------------------------------------

James Bailey Training/Comms     2:59pm, Friday 8th September 2006

Dear Mr Pickup,
Your current slow speeds will be related to BT's Dynamic Line Management. If you like, I can revert you back to your fixed rate product, rather than max.

Regards,
James Bailey

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html
Your comment    3:13pm, Friday 8th September 2006

James,

The current speed falls well below BT's acceptable levels for a 1MB MAX link (200Kbps) so can't they be held responsible to deliver the correct speed.

To be honest the only reason I moved from my previous ISP was to get above 512KB and now after less than 2 months on it I'm being advised to move to a fixed level. I almost feel cheated.

Why would it be that this has happened ?
Is my MAX likely to revert back to 960+ ?
What are the fixed options that are available to me and their cost ?

Regards - Richard
Removed CSC Agent    5:27pm, Saturday 9th September 2006

Dear Mr Pickup,
The BRAS rate is currently set to 160kbps at BT's side.

This generally takes around 3 days to update and can be reset by a sudden resync at a low speed.

Please let us know if you have any further problems once this has been updated.

Regards,
Removed

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html
Your comment    6:06pm, Saturday 9th September 2006

Removed,

Thanks for the update however, it means little to me. Perhaps you can expand on your comments:

1. "The BRAS rate is currently set to 160kbps at BT's side."

a. What is BRAS rate ?
b. Why have BT done this ?
c. How often is it likely to occur ?

2. "This generally takes around 3 days to update and can be reset by a sudden resync at a low speed."

a. Are you saying that my speed can be reset to normal by a sudden resync ?
b. If so, is this something I need to do ?

3. "Please let us know if you have any further problems once this has been updated."

a. When what has been updated ? The resynch ?
Removed CSC Agent    8:40pm, Saturday 9th September 2006

Dear Mr Pickup,
I will anwser your questions in order:

More information on the BRAS rate and other details of MaxDSL can be found here:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml

If your connection drops and re-syncs at a lower speed the BRAS rate will be lowered and takes around 3days to update to higher speeds, lower speeds update pretty much instantly.

Regards,
Removed

Removed CSC Agent    8:40pm, Saturday 9th September 2006

[internal]

Returning ticket.

Regards,
Removed

Agent names removed
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 02:12:10 pm by Colin »
JBailey

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 03:00:52 pm »

Hi again,

a. What is BRAS rate ?

This is the speed restriction enforced by BT.

b. Why have BT done this ?

They believe that your connection is unable to obtain a level of stability on speeds above this mark.

c. How often is it likely to occur?

This would depend on how stable the line is.  If you are getting a number of low sync events, then this could cause your service to drop to this level.

a. Are you saying that my speed can be reset to normal by a sudden resync ?

Not quite.  The speed should return to level if your sync level is stable at a higher level.

b. If so, is this something I need to do ?

Not really, but it can help if you reboot your router once a day, this can help.

a. When what has been updated ? The resynch ?

Once the 3 day period has elapsed, let us know if you are seeing any difference.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
patmartin008

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 10:21:40 pm »

How do PN organise their support?

I have gone through forums and the Help Wizard (starting over a week ago) and nobody has ever mentioned "Your current slow speeds will be related to BT's Dynamic Line Management" as with Richard's case.

My symtoms are idenetical yet non of the support replies have ever mentioned this. I've had lots of 'problem escalation' and my issue 'being forwarded to the correct team' etc but nothing has been resolved. I was also asked to wait 3 days (72 hours) for a 'change' to take effect but it made no difference.

Do PN know what they are doing?

All I want is an honest answer. If the chances are they can sort it eventually (I'm talking days not weeks) I'm happy to stay put. If not I need to find another supplier asap as this is becoming unusable.

There seems to be a lot of others in the same position. What is going on?
patmartin008

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:46:06 am »

I have just been advised...

"I have raised your fault to our wholesale provider. Please be aware that they can take between 5-7 working days to provide a response".

So that's 10 days of endless tests and emails to get to this stage.

I'm not holding my breath...
patmartin008

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 05:06:12 pm »

Looks like my speed issue is no more.

The last update from PN was that BT had "altered the line profile". I don't know what that means but it appears to have worked.

I need to run tests for 3 days before I can close the ticket so I just hope it stays as it is. It's currnelty running at an average of 6.5 Mbps which I'm more than happy with.

alderholt
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 08:18:45 am »

It's now been 10 days since the problem started - we've gone well past the 3 days that has been quoted to me.   Whilst the speed has now improved from 160 Kbps to a steady 480 Kbps, it's still not back to the normal 900+ Kbps.  Can anyone help me ?

essenby

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 09:27:57 am »

@alderholt
Don't want to pour water on your hopes, but I have a similar issue which was reported at the start of July.  I sync at 2M+ but download speeds are below 250K.  They were 450K when I reported the problem and sunce then they have dropped to 130K before the recent "recovery" to 250.  (I did get 4 days or so of 1M!)  BT have been out twice, found nothing but have managed to "correct" the fault - at least according to the voicemail they left me. 

The good guys at PN have thrown it back at them but I'm not holding my breath!
alderholt
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 10:57:13 am »

I have been doing some checking around with other supplier websites. Somewhat worryingly, I have had the following statement when I put in my telephone number to obtain the speed I can connect with:

"Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500Kbps or greater."

So I thought I'd take a chance and ring BT to get a quote for a speed for their BB services on the phone and they gave me a top speed of 512 even on their MAX product.

When I applied for my account with PN I was quoted speeds of 1 MB or greater and certainly this was what was achieved during my first 6 weeks or so before my speed issues began. So given the evidence above have BT changed the specification on my line ??
JBailey

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 12:38:28 pm »

It certainly looks like BT have made a change on their database.

Your downstream line attenuation, whilst right on the limit, is within the range for a fixed 1mbps connection.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
alderholt
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 02:16:03 pm »

James,

Is it likely that my speed will go back up to 1Mbps or are BT now saying that 512Kbps is the maximum I can now get on ADSL MAX.   What are my options ?

Regards - Richard
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: