Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Random Disconnect.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Disconnect.....  (Read 131698 times)
rdrake
« on: August 31, 2006, 09:12:42 am »

..  just happened at 9.07am, back at 9.11am. Same as usual = synced ok with exchange, Tiscali side dead (no IP address etc being provided).   cry
rdrake
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:15:48 am »

..  and now email seems to have crashed!
rdrake
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:35:24 pm »

And again at 16.28, back at 16.33 - -  as before about five minutes. IP address gone missing but fast sync with exchange...

ADSL Port 
MAC Address  00:14:6c:68:d1:17
IP Address  ---
Network Type  PPPoA
IP Subnet Mask  ---
Gateway IP Address ---
Domain Name Server  ---

Modem 
ADSL Firmware Version 4.01.02.00
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 6415 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 639 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
LC100

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 06:34:04 pm »

Hi

Also getting around 1 or 2 PPP drops a day at the moment, and occassionally all internet traffic stops without PPP dropping for a few seconds.

It is a problem with Tiscali and they are working on it, not very fast perhaps, but that's the Tiscali way.
thepuffin

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 08:22:57 pm »

Enough is enough.

I want back to IPStream 2000 and I want it now.  angry
scarymonkey

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 09:02:23 pm »

I had random and very odd sync loss all night last night on MaxDSL. Tonight it seems to be more stable although I can't get a sync to hold higher than about 5500Kbs when before I was well over 7000.

Personally I would like to try LLU as it would rid me of the BT BRAS that is going to start restricting my speed badly if I get anymore very low sync events like I have had over the past couple of weeks.

Vince Marsters
Loombucket

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 12:00:42 am »

Personally I would like to try LLU as it would rid me of the BT BRAS that is going to start restricting my speed badly if I get anymore very low sync events like I have had over the past couple of weeks.

You REALLY don't want to go LLU - trust me.

rolleyes

I have the physique of a god - unfortunately it's Bhudda.
LC100

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 07:55:09 am »

Hi

You REALLY don't want to go LLU - trust me.

It isn't that bad, I get consistant 6000+ download speeds no matter what time of day or night, with MaxDSL it was as low as 1500 during peak times!  I also connect via ADSL2+ helping give a more robust connection (never drops the line even in the worst thunderstorm) and will get the opportunity to have faster speeds quicker than those on BT still using ADSL1.

No BRAS profile to worry about or stable rates, and it doesn't matter how many times I connect/disconnect as the line will not try and mess with itself.

Apart from this latest PPP dropping issue my LLU connection had been up constantly for hundreds of hours.  I also experienced (like many others) similar disconnect problems when on BT with PlusNet due to PlusNet's idle timeout software getting it wrong, so you can't argue the BT product was/is more reliable as issues creep in there as well.

Yes PlusNet/Tiscali support is terrible, but then PlusNet supporting MaxDSL is just as bad.  I think the weakest link is PlusNet rather than Tiscali LLU.

rdrake
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 09:35:26 am »

Now then, this can't be just a coincidence!! I just lost the Tiscali connection again for EXACTLY five minutes...  I timed it! Same as the two occasions yesterday.

ADSL Port 
MAC Address  00:14:6c:68:d1:17
IP Address  ---
Network Type  PPPoA
IP Subnet Mask  ---
Gateway IP Address ---
Domain Name Server  ---

Modem 
ADSL Firmware Version 4.01.02.00
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 6528 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 639 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

Someone at PN please note...   there's a script or something running on the Tiscali system that's causing this.
bigrobcx

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 10:21:30 am »

I spent 1 HOUR 10 MINS waiting on the phone to the CSC last night to complain about this very issue. 3 weeks ago I started seeing random disconnections but they weren't too severe. I was online for up to 3 and a half days with  the occasional 5 mins downtime. Recently it's been getting worse so now on average I get up to 4 and a half hours with 5 mins downtime. most of last night I was offline almost every hour so I dread to think what it's going to be like in a few days time. Usual scenario with constant sync to the exchange and good SNR margins.

Prior to this I had the infamous move to LLU unannounced followed by 5 days offline so I'm pretty much at the end of my tether with all this.  angry

I already have a ticket in for the problem and had no response to some queries I made online so phoning was the only way sadly.  sad After talking to the CSC guy, reminding him how unreliable the connection is, how unacceptable the situation is etc. I was told they know where the problem lies and are working on it. They seem to be blaming router configuration but surely that shouldn't take over 3 weeks to solve. An experienced network guy should be able to sort that in no time.

Looking at the Tiscali FAQ, I notice a worrying piece of information that tallies mind:

"- An ongoing bug with our Juniper ERX's (L2tp Network Server) is causing random disconnections for some Tiscali LLU provisioned customers

A case is open with Juniper and we plan to perform upgrades shortly to resolve this issue."

If this is the case, how come it's taking so darn long for Juniper to come up with a firmware fix?
That FAQ is dated 28th July 2006. That's OVER a month ago. A problem this far reaching known about back then should be solved by now. It's beyond belief that PlusNet KNEW about this problem and didn't even recognise it as being a priority until the notification appeared on service status on 28th August; a MONTH later. Isn't there a temporary fix they can put in place for affected customers? maybe routing through something without Juniper's name on it!
I would be curious to know why this wasn't an issue with BT connections.

I can't believe for a minute that it took a month to trace the fault and work out what needed to be done about it. I'm so close to demanding a move back to IPstream 2000 until this up to 8Mbit rubbish is sorted and all the bugs ironed out. It's difficult to know what to do right now.  sad

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 10:27:25 am by bigrobcx »
rdrake
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 10:28:28 am »

I wonder what Trading Standards would make of all this?   rolleyes
LC100

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 12:51:48 pm »

Hi

Now then, this can't be just a coincidence!! I just lost the Tiscali connection again for EXACTLY five minutes...  I timed it! Same as the two occasions yesterday.

I have seen the disconnections last only a few seconds before.  The last disconnection did take around 5 minutes to come back up.  Are we all disconnecting at the same time?

PPP Dropped: 09:31:22
PPP Back up: 09:36.02

rdrake
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 12:53:49 pm »

Mine also used to be much shorter but recently five mins seems the norm. Looks as though we might well be disconnecting simultaneously!!
LC100

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 01:15:54 pm »

Hi

Mine also used to be much shorter but recently five mins seems the norm. Looks as though we might well be disconnecting simultaneously!!

I wonder if the disconnections are starting to affect more and more of us LLU users?  If whatever triggers it is meaning everyone affected is disconnected at the same time then the more of us suffering the bigger the hit of us all trying to re-connect again, hence bigger delays to get back on line?

It's probaby a bit of hardware somewhere that is faultly or overloaded and reboots every now and again. 
WilliamG

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 01:16:29 pm »

I've been trying to connect this morning on LLU but I can't get to the p/w authentication stage - it keeps timing out.

Oddly this follows someone from CS answering one of my old tickets to say 'my supplier had detected an open line - is my modem on Huh

What!!!

These people clearly don't read the tickets.

I'm back on 56K to post this.

I'm also one of those who was forcibly moved to LLU.

I think I've been very patient over this last month,what with no connection,then dodgy connection,then no connection again. Ten loss of email.

Patient is running out. I'm seriously thinking about moving to another ISP (for the first time in five years).
If I wasn't tied into LLU I'd probably have already done it.

I'm beginning to wonder if this forcible move to LLU isn't some sort of scam to stop unhappy customers leaving?

Plusnet is almost a complete joke at the moment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: