Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Usage Stats? To be trusted?
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Usage Stats? To be trusted?  (Read 7383 times)
apollo_it

« on: August 06, 2006, 09:08:47 pm »

Hi PN,

I have my mother in law (age 70) on BB+, and she's clocking up a staggering 25Gb for little more than surfing and email.

Management has kicked in, as it did last month.

No spyware or Virii found... etc

Ticket 19992776.... anything you can do?

Cheers
kitz

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 09:26:22 pm »

>> 25Gb for little more than surfing and email.

shocked  shocked

My connections on 24/7 and used by several users, and does its fair share..streaming/multicast/downloading but I dont use quite that much.

Unsecure wireless connection?

Also have a look at the breakdown of usage on VMBU and see if you can identify what type of traffic it is to see if that gives any clues.

Dont forget the Geeks!
kitz 2005
apollo_it

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 11:11:20 am »

Hi,

No wifi, and it reckons P2P is to blame... lol - I can really see a 70 year old "biggin it up" on bittorrent and complaining about throttling and film quality.

Replied to ticket.

Cheers
mr_chris

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:16:00 am »

Not Sky By Broadband or other such junk? BBC iMP (if it's even still going?) Just throwing ideas into the equation.

Chris
Arthur

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 11:22:32 am »

Could you have ended up with a dynamic IP that belonged to a heavy P2P user and is receiving a lot of requests?

mr_chris

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 11:46:25 am »

Hmm - doubtful.. 25GB would be a lot of "tail-end" P2P traffic!

Chris
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 05:09:42 pm »

Hi apollo_it,

What happens if the router is switched off for a day? Is usage stil reported then? I have checked our RADIUS logs and the associated usage and I only have one suspicion as to what might be causing this.

Our RADIUS logs show 2 successive ongoing sessions both with a different IP. This wouldn't normally concern me as it tends to happen if we do not receive a disconnect packet from the user's end. One of the IP's against the account has already been assigned elsewhere. Whilst the customer it has been assigned to isn't a heavy user, someone else who is could well have had this IP before them.

Try disconnecting the kit from the phoneline for a good hour and then reconnect. This should kill any ongoing sessions in RADIUS. I would be interested to see if the problem occurs after this.

In the meantime, I'll chase this with networks.

Kind Regards,

apollo_it

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 06:58:21 pm »

This is VERY interesting reading Bob.

If you look at the debacle this user has struggled with on her account previously, you'll see there has been plenty of invalid usr/pass issues....

Intermittent, unexplainable... and totally unique to any other problem I've seen with other users (300+ ADSL since 2004)

we NEVER got to the bottom of it, but used a router instead which seemed to help as it didnt disconnect as often as a modem.

What do you think?

I'll get the router disco'd for a day. Thanks
apollo_it

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 06:12:37 pm »

I have received a response from PN about this... still no further really - however I think there are real problems with the user's account, not least because of the history of intermittent bad password auths etc...

I have put the latest bits in bold to help readability. If anyone from plusnet (apart from Bob who I have PM'd) can see a way out of this - I'll be happy for whatever help you can give.

Its not hard to rattle a 70 year old woman, and threats of level 2 management, and further punitive measures for "crimes not committed" are the last thing she needs.

I may have to consider a migration if the overall fault (from last October) cannot be rectified.

----start of ticket-----

Your original question 8:56pm, Sunday 6th August 2006
[Support Wizard Journey]
[Report Abuse]

[Additional Information]
I'm very concerned that my usage is wrong. I have been sent various emails about this - but can assure you I have only done occasional surfing and email. I have no peer to peer software. Please investigate, and remove all restrictions.

CSC Agent 11:04pm, Sunday 6th August 2006
Dear Mrs xxx,
Please advise if you are using a wireless router, as someone may be "piggybacking" on to your network and utilising your bandwidth.

If this is not the case, please let us know and we will look into this further for you.

Regards,

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

Your comment 8:02pm, Monday 7th August 2006
This is not the case. There is no wireless capability on the router.

We had to put a router in to resolve intermittent user/pass issues (logged previously, and still unresolved) but thats all.

CSC Agent 11:12am, Saturday 12th August 2006
Dear Mrs xxx,
On inspection of the account, the usage tallies in with the ammount of time that you have been connected. Although we have rulled out the wireless perspective, we need to investigate other things.

Have you ensures your system is virus and spyware free?

Have you checked for background applications that you are not aware of?

As advised, inspection shows you have been connected for such a time that it accounts for the usage. As such, we are unable to remove these restrictions.

Regards,

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

Your comment 5:59pm, Saturday 12th August 2006

The router was turned off completely between Thurdsay lunchtime, and Friday evening.

This means, no Thursday PEAK usage,

and also, no Friday OFF PEAK usage -

Should have been registered on the VMBU.

Of course, this is not the case.

Please refer this ticket to Bob Pullen, who has advised the following, on your official forums:

--------------- copied ---------------

What happens if the router is switched off for a day? Is usage stil reported then? I have checked our RADIUS logs and the associated usage and I only have one suspicion as to what might be causing this.

Our RADIUS logs show 2 successive ongoing sessions both with a different IP. This wouldn't normally concern me as it tends to happen if we do not receive a disconnect packet from the user's end. One of the IP's against the account has already been assigned elsewhere. Whilst the customer it has been assigned to isn't a heavy user, someone else who is could well have had this IP before them.

Try disconnecting the kit from the phoneline for a good hour and then reconnect. This should kill any ongoing sessions in RADIUS. I would be interested to see if the problem occurs after this.

In the meantime, I'll chase this with networks.

----------------------------------------------

http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,2803.0.html

As discussed with PN on the phone, this account has had troubles in the past that could be related to this situation. Please view history of intermittent authentication problems.

I can also confirm that the machine is completely free of viruses et al, having already checked this possibility. Of course, following the news of the continuing usage trend during the router power off - I think we can safely say the problem is well and truly with Plusnet.

During the last 2 years, and 300 net installs I have done - I have never seen another ADSL account as fraught with problems as this one.

Once again, please refer this to Bob. Thank you.

---End of Ticket-----

Moderator Note: Agents names removed - please do not post names of CSC agents Wink
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 06:20:55 pm by wildmind »
Kritifile

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 11:12:40 pm »

I havr an oddity this month, although it's only just starting to worry me.
I reported 1.5 GB of 'other' traffic used. As I may have had my router turned on at the time, and it was off-peak, I was very suspiscious but could take it no further.
I now see that I have 2.9 GB of 'other' against me, with almost half a GB of peak time.
Now if any of that was overnight, my router was turned off.
No likely IP lease mix-up as I have a static IP.
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 06:31:21 pm »

apollo_it,

I have taken ownership of your Question and will provide an update shortly.

Kind Reagards,

Kritifile

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 08:49:24 pm »

Thanks Bob.
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 09:17:13 pm »

Hi all,

I've done a bit of investigation and this wouldn't cause problems. It is merely a RADIUS reporting and would not duplicate usage across accounts due to the way the Ellacoya API functions.

apollo_it, I think I have now got to the bottom of your issue. Have a look at the ticket on the account and see what you think.

Regards,

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: