Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » "You cannot add a comment until 5 minutes after asking your question"
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "You cannot add a comment until 5 minutes after asking your question"  (Read 5682 times)
digitalhome

« on: July 25, 2006, 01:58:32 pm »

What on earth...? I just went to respond to a reply on my open ticket about my LLU connection (currently down), but got the following error:

"Sorry, we were unable to add your comment.

You cannot add a comment until 5 minutes after asking your question or adding a comment."

This seems a very strange limitation to have in the first place, but in this particular circumstance it doesn't even make sense. I last added a comment to my ticket one hour ago, and the PN support person responded 15 minutes ago, so I can't see why there would be this error.

Any ideas anyone? What can I do about it?
mr_chris

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 02:01:59 pm »

Not sure to be honest. I've encountered it before, but it did let me do it after 5 minutes.

I guess it's (a) to stop people posting twice by double-clicking the submit button, and (b) to stop people harrassing CS by posting repeated messages in a ticket, as some may be inclined to do? I dunno.

Odd one that. Are any date/times on your last ticket post / response wrong at all?

Chris
digitalhome

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 02:05:51 pm »

No, but I did find out when it finally let me post it that a PN staff member had been adding another comment to my ticket himself at the time, so perhaps it was to do with that.

It might be useful to have a different error message displayed in these circumstances though - one that actually represents the truth of what's wrong rather than sort of 'borrowing' an error from another situation!
biondani

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 02:11:55 pm »

It's the correct error I would assume as I assume that you have to wait 5 minutes from his/her update as well. Not a very informative error but correct in it's content.

Ian

3rd Line Wintel Support
Virgin Media XXL Customer
mr_chris

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:16:33 pm »

> rather than sort of 'borrowing' an error from another situation!

As a programmer, I've been guilty of that in the past, too!
The error message itself could just be re-worded, in a "This could be down to: blah or blah or blah" type of thing.

Chris
digitalhome

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 02:24:52 pm »

It's the correct error I would assume as I assume that you have to wait 5 minutes from his/her update as well. Not a very informative error but correct in it's content.

Well, it would be correct if that's what it said, but it only says that I can't add a comment until five minutes after *I've* asked or added to the question, not someone else - nitpicking perhaps, but it would have made me not post here thinking PN's ticketing system was broken if it had just said that to start with.

Really, this situation is like the one on what I think was this very forum, whereby if you go to post a new message into a topic, and in the meantime someone else posts, when you press Post it alerts you to the fact that someone else has posted and invites you to read over the new post in case it has made your post irrelevant or otherwise in need of editing or deleting. I was very impressed when I saw that for the first time.

That would be the ideal error-handling routine here, but I have to admit to having taken similar shortcuts to mr_chris' suggestion myself in the past so I wouldn't blame them for that Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: