Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » If I'm not happy...
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If I'm not happy...  (Read 7285 times)
Bunzer
« on: June 09, 2006, 08:45:37 pm »

I just got the 'If you're not happy' email. A lot of typing there, but the basic message seems to be that PlusNet is backtracking in the customer focus area, skilling-up and putting the emphasis back on technical management of support. Well done. Let's see what happens.

At the end of the email it mentions PUG, which to be honest (even though I was once a member) I forgot existed. So I came to the forum just now to see what's going on, and see lots of familiar names of PlusNet staff (hello Ian).

This raises the question once more - why on earth are there so many different channels of public company/customer contact?

Surely, if PlusNet are serious about communicating with their customers, this is one of the 'issues' which needs to be addressed?

Off the top of my head, there are several portal forums, several usenet plusnet.* newsgroups (which seems only to be manned occasionally by Dave, thanks Dave), the PlusNet forum on ADSLguide, PlusNetters and the PUG forums. Crazy.

Wouldn't it be easier for everyone if all this was condensed into less space? There would be less replication of frustration, better communication, and more chance of PlusNet hearing about the issues from fewer sources?
Ultra

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 10:26:28 pm »

plusnet.* newsgroups (and similar for Force9 and free-online, don't forget)
and as well as Dave, Bob Pullen posts, and Mand... (and James Bailey, twice maybe)

Yes, too many channels, and some suggestions were made to reduce the number of plusnet.* groups to about 4 (seeing as some get no posts for months at a time, eg the pn.tech.*)

Awkward to cut down, though, without getting more people to use this very place, whether from Metronet or Plus.Net or the other services.

One "plus" concerning comments on the PN portal is that staff have an account name so can do any checks to assist, whereas on here or ADSLguide they may need the info sent by PM, adding to delays...

I think the mail from Ian was to publicise this forum, as a means of gathering the interested users to discuss things here, rather than all over the place BICBW as I have not yet read the e-mail properly... off to do that now.
ianwild

Not to be confused with Mike, Wildmind.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 02:28:34 am »

You got it - I think PUG has real potential to bring things together for us in a more structured way. As we've grown, all sorts of different channels have sprung up and that's now really hard for us to monitor and contribute to. That said, each place has it's own style, regulars, and value (Certainly Usenet, which I'd LOVE to get back into reading regularily and will make a resolution to do when I return from my hols).

Hello Keith - Nice to hear from you smiley

Cheers,

Ian

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Support
John

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 07:36:11 am »

Off the top of my head, there are several portal forums, several usenet plusnet.* newsgroups (which seems only to be manned occasionally by Dave, thanks Dave), the PlusNet forum on ADSLguide, PlusNetters and the PUG forums. Crazy.

Wouldn't it be easier for everyone if all this was condensed into less space? There would be less replication of frustration, better communication, and more chance of PlusNet hearing about the issues from fewer sources?

PlusNetters are a pressure group that has a different make up from PUG; the forum members of PlusNetters make a valuable contribution to the wellbeing of PlusNet and are not as constrained so much as the PUG forums are. I personally don't think you can have to many critical reviewers when it concerns quality of service to the PlusNet customer... wink

John
AKA theattic on the other place.
Ultra

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 08:24:07 am »

I suppose I'd have come under the "critical reviewers" at some points in the past, and agree that PlusNetters comments are not as constrained (though must admit not to visit very often), but the question was more on the number of channels being used (the "spread too thin" problem) rather than degrees of constraint, or "sensibleness" of contributions...
Bunzer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 09:20:39 am »

Yes, too many channels, and some suggestions were made to reduce the number of plusnet.* groups to about 4 (seeing as some get no posts for months at a time, eg the pn.tech.*)

I seem to remember once receiving a phone call from Ian (!) on this very subject. Suggestions have been made many times, but nothing has ever happened as a result. I got the impression that it was too awkward a change to make. But I fully support the idea of reducing the number of groups to announce, feedback, and peer support (yes, THREE).

You got it - I think PUG has real potential to bring things together for us in a more structured way. As we've grown, all sorts of different channels have sprung up and that's now really hard for us to monitor and contribute to. That said, each place has it's own style, regulars, and value (Certainly Usenet, which I'd LOVE to get back into reading regularily and will make a resolution to do when I return from my hols).

PUG is out of the way here; you have to actively choose to visit this BBS, otherwise you'd forget it was here, like I did. I'd rather see a PUG forum on the main portal. But that's academic, because I don't go there much either. I prefer mailing lists and newsgroups for discussions (I know, old git). And sadly, I've stopped posting in the plusnet newsgroup too, because I felt that it had been largely abandoned by PlusNet staff.

I think the comment about style isn't very relevant though. Imagine there's a service issue which needs to be addressed. Does it have to be raised and discussed in 10 different locations (in 10 different styles)? Users of one forum will be unaware of other users' comments, and there will be unnecessary duplication of effort. And PlusNet will have to read/placate/inform all these groups separately. Isn't that just horribly inefficient?

I personally don't think you can have to many critical reviewers when it concerns quality of service to the PlusNet customer... wink

Let's not get above ourselves. We're not talking about national security, or erosion of democracy here. We're talking about the service from our ISP smiley Fair enough, have an independant group for smacking PlusNet's bottom - but isn't that was ADSLguide is for?
John

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 11:29:27 am »

Let's not get above ourselves. We're not talking about national security, or erosion of democracy here. We're talking about the service from our ISP smiley Fair enough, have an independant group for smacking PlusNet's bottom - but isn't that was ADSLguide is for?

Yes, let us not get above our station shall we; after all the insignificant views of some are fit only to be looked down on by the mighty. smiley

I can't comment on the ADSLguide because I dislike using the format they choose to use. wink

John
AKA theattic on the other place.
George

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 11:49:50 am »

Well, I've just read the announcement and am living in hopes too.
We'll see...
George
bsjfan

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 05:46:45 pm »

I've been with PlusNet (Broadband) since last July, 3 weeks after acquiring my first PC. I chose PlusNet as they were one of the best ISP companies accorsing to a recent Which? survey. I've not been at all impressed by their Customer Service. Just registered with PG today as I saw it mentioned in the latest PlusNet Newsletter. I look forward to seeing signs of improvement in the service offered by the company. I like the fact that one is not tied to an annual contract - I've heard bad reports of various other providers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: