Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » PlusNet launch Basic broadband package
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: PlusNet launch Basic broadband package  (Read 10265 times)
jelv1

« on: May 31, 2006, 04:04:29 pm »

If this package has no email included, how do Plusnet intend to communicate with the user about billing etc. On all other accounts we are required to monitor the postmaster account so this seems very strange. Restricting it to one or two mailboxes I could understand.

jelv
ianwild

Not to be confused with Mike, Wildmind.

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:17:46 pm »

By specifying a contact address (Hotmail, Gmail etc), customers can get all the email we send. This has been thought about though, and we will also be allowing customers to access the POP3 address for their account, however only mail sent by PlusNet will be delivered into this mailbox.

It's hardly unusual to offer these sorts of things seperatly... it's how Metronet did it for a start!

Regards,

Ian

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Support
wildmind
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:18:26 pm »

And yet customers can sign up for a free PAYG dial-up account and get POP3 mailboxes if they wish???

Crazy IMO
dgdclynx
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:23:13 pm »

Dave Tomlinson has already corrected a typo in p.s.c-f....

"Paul Boyd" <fred@xyxabc.nl> wrote in message
news:447da5cc$0$2653$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net...
> PlusNet Support Team said the following on 31/05/2006 13:35:
>
> > and additional bandwidth is charged at 0.024p per MB.
>
> Being slightly pedantic here, do you actually mean 0.024p/Mb, or perhaps
> more likely 0.024/Mb?  2.4pence for 100Mb or 2.40 for 100Mb?
>
> With the weird and wonderful ways PN notices can be (mis)interpreted,
> just thought I'd mention it!
>
> --
> Paul Boyd
> http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Ah, looks like you spotted a typo, it should be 0.224p per MB (Megabyte).
Which works out at 2.24 for 1GB (1GB = 1000MB).

--
| Dave Tomlinson                  Broadband Solutions For
| Comms Team                              Home & Business
| PlusNet plc                       @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

jelv1

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 05:01:26 pm »

With such a low included allowance, Plusnet are going to have to be a lot more pro-active in protecting these users from the background internet noise. It would be an interesting argument as to whether they should pay for usage they haven't asked for.

jelv
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 05:04:45 pm »

By specifying a contact address (Hotmail, Gmail etc), customers can get all the email we send.

Tooo true ...
1) They'd get it all (not loose some)
2) They'd get it on time too!

Liam

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 07:34:03 pm »

Hmmm... My router, if left with no PCs on would generate more than 50mb/month usage.

Liam Martin
PlusNet UserGroup Member & Ex-PlusNet Comms Team Staffer!
BBYW & Business Premier User | DG834G Lover
Wormeries
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 09:39:38 pm »

The type of customer that this product would appeal to is likely not to be people that leave their routers connected 24/7. From looking at usage and connection patterns of our customers the people with the usage who would choose PAYG Basic generally just connect up for a few minutes maybe a couple of hours at a time and then disconnect so the background noise isn't going to add up to huge amounts. You can see for yourself in the data we gave PUG for usage for March that large numbers of customers do use very low amounts of data (and those figures do include background traffic).

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
Ultra

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 04:49:57 pm »

I know it's intended as a "budget" account, but is charging 224p per GB an incentive to switch to some other account, or maybe an incentive to not take this account at all ?

While a few ISPs are charging 200p/GB and I've seen one recently charging 150p/GB, this seems one of the more costly fees per GB (I've seen under 100p), and the users are hardly likely to be taxing the network, nor do they have an upper cost limit (the way Metronet did), so if there's some problem where a lot of traffic gets generated (someone reported a problem getting software updates and the PC went into a loop, repeatedly downloading the same!), then they'll really detest this charge per GB and sling their hook ASAP.
Liam

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 05:25:39 pm »

By which time, Plusnet have locked them into a contract and they'll have to either upgrade or pay extortionate fee's to leave.

To be honest, though, if the customer is clearly informed when they're signing up that it's a limited usage product - then it should be up to them to ensure that the limit isn't exceeded if they dont want to.

Liam Martin
PlusNet UserGroup Member & Ex-PlusNet Comms Team Staffer!
BBYW & Business Premier User | DG834G Lover
Wormeries
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 05:34:00 pm »

I wonder if BB Basic gets "Data Transfer Watch"?

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Using: Plusnet Extra
ianwild

Not to be confused with Mike, Wildmind.

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 06:08:19 pm »

Yes - It does.

Ian

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Support
jelv1

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 06:39:59 pm »

So I presume, like the current PAYG product, it will also permanently lock the user out if they exceed the watch amount near the end of the month and decline to pay more - requiring several calls in the following month to the premium rate number before they manage to get it working again.

jelv
Ultra

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 07:40:56 am »

By which time, Plusnet have locked them into a contract and they'll have to either upgrade or pay extortionate fee's to leave.
Which is why one web site (which I assume received a Press Release on 2006/05/31 - perhaps chosen as a way to pre-empt the Orange news the next day!) said "Of course, this is just a entry package with an absolutely meagre 50MB of usage included. PlusNet are actually looking to sting you with bandwidth charges ( 0.024p per MB ) or seeking to recruit you to their broadband PAYG product priced at 14.99 per month."

(My italics in that quote)...  Of course, if the figure of 0.024p was used, it would not really count as a "sting" would it!

Another site says "with customers able to add more at 0.024p per MB." so did the Press Release go out wrong, or were they getting the info second hand from some web discussion, I wonder ?

Hmm, yet another site says "Also being a PAYG service the free data allowance isn't that generous, users will have to make do with a 50MB included data usage, with more available at 0.024p per MB."  so they got the 0.024p figure as well.

I note no mention on ADSLGuide...  They've tended to show less and less willingness to include Plus.Net given the ever-changing goalposts and sometimes less than ideal terms (the "you stay, we pay" being described as "free" was one thing they criticised plenty)
dgdclynx
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 07:48:40 am »

Just to say 0.024 was a typo. The actual figure is 0.224
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: