Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Help
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help  (Read 6650 times)
eddie

« on: May 26, 2006, 11:18:01 am »

It took three weeks of phoning to realise that I was never going to get through. I hired an IT guy to get me onto the website, my username is wrong or different or something. I've now spent a week waiting for answers to my questions. They either refer me to a webpage, or give me duff information. All I'm trying to do is get rid of emails that bounce back to me that have supposedly come from me. Apparently I need to set up a a Black Hole. However it would appear that F9's customer service has fallen down the Black Hole.

The last piece of advice ended up with me not getting my emails at all, now only the junk I'm trying to stop keeps coming in. I know I'm not computer literate....that's why i need help...so F9 where is the help? I don't seem to be able to find any. I have now resorted to writing a letter and faxing it ! Isn't technology wonderful.
I'd be very impressed if someone at F9 looked up my number and gave me a call.

Deeply fed up Eddie.
Ultra

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 11:56:56 am »

Eddie - sorry to read of your problems - one aspect of your request though - they cannot easily track back to your F9 account from a posting here - they'd need a "contact us" (or question, or whatever it is called now) "ticket number" to be able to identify you.

Also, worth pointing out that because there has been a backlog of customer questions and delays on the phones, they have given priority to those, over the use of web discussions and newsgroups, so hopefully they will see your questions soon anyway.

Finally, you can get a free mailbox using Yahoo.co.uk (and some other mail services) but if you are getting spam bounces, your F9 or domain name must have been "collected" from some posting or a contact whose machine might be infected, or some dodgy website which has sold the address.  No easy way around it.  I have set up K9 (from www.keir.net) to "learn" what I consider to be spam and it then allows a mail program like MS Outlook Express to "filter" anything K9 marks as spam into another folder, so it can be ignored. (it just needs a mail rule to be set up, to look for the word "SPAM" and for K9 to be told it should add that to the subject line of anything it believes is junk... takes a little bit of work, but gets to be about 99% reliable...  Need to look now and again for whether things were wrongly identified.   

Alternatively, Gmail (from Google) aka "googlemail" has fairly good spam filtering - I forward lots of mail to a Gmail account and glance at that every couple of days for any important messages...  a few thousand items in the spam folder so it is doing it job well, and costs me nothing!

In the long run, you might consider using a free service (www.spamgourmet.com) where you can give each contact a unique mail address and can "whitelist" the sender you want.  Then, after a few (a number up to 20, that you choose) messages it will "eat" unwanted mail, so if the address is passed on/copied/spammed then most junk will never get to you.  Good luck.
eddie

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 12:14:59 pm »

Thanks for your reply, still doesn't help the fact that F9's customer service is substandard. I think the answer to my problem can be easily set up by sorting email boxes for me and my family and then directing to one address, then everything else will fall into a black hole. As i said it's probably fixable with a five minute conversation. Instead of which F9 have wasted several hours of my life making me try to sort it myself. Each time i get a different "helper" with different advice. There is no continuity and in some cases it's fairly obvious they haven't even read back the previous questions to see what the original problem is.

Still no answer to yesterdays questions or this mornings or my fax. Only good thing is that i have now got my emails back by deleting everything they told me to do yesterday.

Anyway I'm getting angry again now...so I'm going for a walk...regards Eddie
kitz

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 02:01:57 pm »

Hi eddie

Sorry to hear of your problems.

What has happened here is that your email address has likely got on to a spam list somewhere and they are "spoofing" your email address to continue sending spam to other people.

Therefore if the recipients email address is an incorrect one, unfortunately it ends up in your mailbox as having been undeliverable.

In all fairness to Plusnet this is not a problem of their doing or making.

Try getting a spamfilter theres a few freebies around on the internet.
But I would recommend Mailwasher, which allows you to bounce or delete email at the server so you dont even have to download the mail first.

More info about Mailwasher Pro here
http://www.firetrust.com/firetrustpro.html

Download the Freeware version from here
http://www.majorgeeks.com/MailWasher_d2054.html

Dont forget the Geeks!
kitz 2005
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 02:03:14 pm »

But I would recommend Mailwasher, which allows you to bounce or delete email at the server so you dont even have to download the mail first.

Of course, what kitz should have said was that although it offers you the facility to 'bounce' mail - you should not do that as you just move the problem on to someone else as they get the fake bounce message you generated.

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Using: Plusnet Extra
dgdclynx
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 02:34:40 pm »

My username was harvested a few weeks ago and I am suffering similarly from rejected emails but I cope using Mailwasher. I am signed up to PNs antivirus package so much of my spam comes thru identified SPAM. Using Mailwasher these emails are easily deletable but please dont bounce them.
dgdclynx
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 02:39:02 pm »

My username was harvested a few weeks ago and I am suffering similarly from rejected emails but I cope using Mailwasher. I am signed up to PNs antivirus package so much of my spam comes thru identified SPAM. Using Mailwasher these emails are easily deletable but please dont bounce them.

I should say that Mailwasher is now Mailwasher Pro where you can glance at your email on the server before deciding to delete it.
Ultra

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 03:25:08 pm »

I hope we're all agreed that to bounce mail is a bad thing, and causes just the same type of problem for some other unsuspecting recipient!

Even if mail isn't checked for spam and viruses at the ISP end, the K9 s/w and some free anti-virus (Avast or AVG perhaps) will reduce the chances.  Given the delays which have been experienced by some users for incoming mail, it might be an option to accept incoming mail at some other service which provides POP mail for free, and send your outgoing mail via PN, so there are no mail service adverts appended.
eddie

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 03:40:33 pm »

Well whoopido, I just got a phone call, haven't solved the problem yet but someone from F9 did call and tell me what to do. Shame it's taken nearly a month to get here though.
As I thought a five minute phone call was enough to answer my questions.
Thanks for all the advice, I think i'll try one of those washer things before i do the mailbox thing. I know the problem isn't of plusnet's making but my point is that a helpline should be just that. The tickets i posted can take more than twenty four hours to reply and the phone line is impossible. the question i posted yesterday at 10am still hasn't been answered. All the account details ...like my email address, are wrong on their account details. The only bit that i can see is right and works perfectly is the billing !

I also have the feeling that i got a phone call answer to my fax because they were really pissed off that i had managed to get an fax number at all. Other wise I'd still be waiting. What does one do when the whole thing crashes?  

See you all next time i get angry...have fun   Eddie

whilst writing this some other posts came in. I'm not computer literate at all...but i do have avg, I do run spybot and ad-aware regularly...I do all I can. As a non techie person it seems reasonable to me that if i'm receiving crap you tell the person who passes it on to you. I don't get cold call phonecalls because i registered my phone for that service so they don't come to me at all. Mind you i do get junk mail from the post office. However this is a bit different because i had one or two emails from ladies saying, "please don't bother me...i don't know who you are" which i found distressing. Spam blockers don't work because the emails come from all sorts of sources and they are addressed to dghrv@ or some such rubbish anyway...I'm less mad now sad thing is I'm still in the same position as I was a month ago...just a little wiser and glad to have my email back.
mr_chris

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 07:24:32 pm »

> I'm less mad now

Glad to hear it! Smiley

Don't just pop by when you're mad - keep an eye on the forums - any and all input is useful Smiley

Chris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: