Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » Referrals: cookie life extended to 90 days
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Referrals: cookie life extended to 90 days  (Read 12497 times)
Penny

« on: May 06, 2006, 04:58:52 pm »

Hi all,

The whole "cookie life" issue has been raised in the various NG and portal forums at many times over the past couple of years. According to recent figures on the portals, over *50%* of people who have chosen to sign up with PlusNet or Force 9 have done so on the recommendation of a friend or colleague.

Many customers use referral banners to attract monthly referrals income, as well as recommending friends and family directly or by e-mail. However, the generated cookies (from click-throughs) previously lasted only 10 days. PUG has campaigned actively on this one! and we're delighted to say that PlusNet has now agreed that referral cookies will last for a full 90 days Smiley

The portal pages have been updated (well, most of them I think) and the extended cookie-life has now come into operation. If people wd like to pass on this info to the other forums and NG, this wd be appreciated Wink

Regards,

Penny.

Penny Rollo       Force 9 from 17/02/98       PlusNet from 2000 onwards     
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages http://www.happychild.org.uk
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Ultra

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 11:45:17 pm »

Thanks Penny - I am happy to see that change, and expect others are too.

It would be nice if PN could sometime get their "full breakdown" listing to show only the last 3 to 4 months, too (like it says on the page (*)).  I've a few hundred entries (some have "N/A" for the date) and they're sorted on DD/MM/YY not YY/MM/DD to make it all the more confusing!

In case anyone hasn't twigged the difference, it means you get lists like this:

Banner    09/10/05
Banner    09/12/05
Banner    10/01/06
Banner    10/04/06
Banner    10/05/05
Banner    10/05/06
Banner    10/07/05
Banner    10/12/05
Banner    11/03/06
Banner    11/06/05

I cut out some duplicates but I'm sure you get the idea!

(*) "Recommendations awaiting signup are displayed for 3 months."
wildmind
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 10:48:35 am »

Hi NetGuy,

We've raised the date sorting numerous times as it drives me nuts when I got to have a look... unfortunately these small changes are the ones that always seem to take forever to happen Sad
ianwild

Not to be confused with Mike, Wildmind.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 02:07:01 pm »

Mike - Do you know if a problem ever got raised on this? If so, I can track the original request - it's just thsi sort of thing we should be fixing!

Ian

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Support
wildmind
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 02:26:59 pm »

Ian - you never raised the problem AFAIK
* wildmind kicks you tongue

I have bumped the appropriate private thread...
ianwild

Not to be confused with Mike, Wildmind.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 02:58:52 pm »

Thanks Mike.

I will tell James rolleyes

Ian

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Support
Ultra

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 11:26:03 pm »

Any news on this one, please Ian ? 

(Or is it a "6 months before it gets near the top of the pile" type situation?)

I have a list of about 750 clickers (only a fraction of them had signed up, before someone gets nasty) and I cannot imagine how many others might have (Kitz - must surely be into a few thousands?)
kitz

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 02:05:51 am »

Not that many at all netguy.
Contrary to popular belief and rumours - I still pay for my connection. Theres probably people over on AG that have far more referrals than I have.

>> I have a list of about 750 clickers

I only have 7 clickers showing and its been like that for ages, (over a year in fact),
Same with the email thing..  I sent a couple out when they brought in the free-migration ages ago (2 years ago?), and those are still on the list too.

I'd always wanted to keep the site as ad free as possible, although I may have to revisit this thinking, at some point in the future.

Dont forget the Geeks!
kitz 2005
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 12:33:34 pm »

Hi guys,

I've raised the not-so-sensible list sorting issue with our content guys although they're not due to look at referrals for a while I don't think.

To be honest this is more a dev issue, but is relatively insignificant so would probably get swept under the carpet if raised as a problem. I will see if I can get it squeezed in somewhere but can't promise anything.

Regards,

Ultra

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 01:42:35 am »

Thanks Bob - makes one wonder what the higher priority jobs are (quite understand this being pretty low compared with significant problems, like the referral sum just accumulating each month, mine now showing "Your referrals earned you {over 20 quid}..." when I go into the members centre, which is several times the actual figure, unfortunately for me!)

Kitz - I had expected a lot more clicks given that so many times I (and others) refer people to your site for the great information and easy to understand explanations of things... 

As for AG, I thought they had an outright ban on referral links, and the bulk of the oiks posting for the last few months have had mostly negative comments, so cannot imagine any of them having referrals anyway. 

(Sorry to any mod - I don't normally 'insult' anyone/any BBS, but the attitude of some at the other place means I've rarely found it worth looking at for months, before and after the PN staff stopped posting there.)
kitz

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 02:52:15 am »

heh... things were different a few years ago..  many times I may have recommended users to PN, but I was always shy about giving a referral code, so never bothered.

Also remember that up until 18 months ago, PN was the ISP to be and there were a lot of people migrating in...
Some of those users are still with PN but seldom post in the PN forum any more. 
I think you may be surprised that there are quite a few still with PN, who just dont say much. - tbh I dont blame them.

I think I possibly picked up 2 from AG...  one from someone who bantered in FC when I did, and another from someone who PM'd me asking if I'd like to be his referrer.
Both are still with PN afaik.. neither post in there though these days...  one of whom I particulary feel is a sad loss to the AG community since he made very informative posts.

I also have a couple of local referrals who also used to post frequently on AG too, both of those are still with PN.. yet now also avoid posting in that forum. :/

Dont forget the Geeks!
kitz 2005
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 12:04:10 pm »

I've never posted on AG and don't post much on the main PN forums either.  There are many that give better information, or do better rants, than I do. So I just keep quiet and read as many interesting threads as I can in the limited time I have available.

I've come close to geting a couple of referrals one was defeated by the referrals system and the second defeated by plusnet systems & support turning to rat poo earlier this year, causing him to rethink.
Ultra

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 11:34:05 am »

We've raised the date sorting numerous times as it drives me nuts when I got to have a look... unfortunately these small changes are ...
Anyone else interested in this (old) problem?  If it's easy to do, I'll be happy to submit it into the PUGIT system, if I'm (not PUG/PN) able!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 11:37:27 am by NetGuy »
wildmind
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 11:36:33 am »

Yeah - Can you raise it in there mate laugh

I'm certainly interested in seeing it sorted. It's also be good to show only referral clicks that are still valid (e.g. not a year or so old)
Ultra

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 06:22:58 pm »

I've submitted some info, partly re date order and partly on how many entries are being shown, not just the last 3 months (ie matching the time a cookie is 'live').   

Someone at PN seems to have taken away the old text saying the entries were from the last 3 months (so the description now matches the displayed entries, rather than fixing the excessive display of entries!)
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: