Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » News article - PlusNet problems - PUG's position
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: News article - PlusNet problems - PUG's position  (Read 12341 times)
Penny

« on: April 15, 2006, 06:27:39 pm »

Hi all,

In recent weeks there have been many concerns amongst customers about various aspects of the service from PlusNet.

PUG has as usual been heavily involved "behind the scenes", raising concerns on behalf of the userbase as a whole, and we have now published an article at http://usergroup.plus.net/news_pnprobsapr06.php , outlining the situation as we see it.

Issues covered include the recent power outages, the portal, e-mail, webstats, PlusTalk, Tiscali LLU, the whole migrations issue, the LLU exchange list, DSL Max Upgrade schedules .....and much more.

You can read the article here. Over the course of the next week or so we hope to be able to publish more detailed follow-up articles, along with PlusNet's responses to the issues raised.

Penny
PlusNet UserGroup member

Penny Rollo       Force 9 from 17/02/98       PlusNet from 2000 onwards     
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages http://www.happychild.org.uk
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 06:59:18 pm »

Well .. I've read it ..

You seem to agree with everything PlusNet have done.

Ahhh .. welll ..... deluded world and all that.

wildmind
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 07:04:30 pm »

Tam,

We do not say we agree with it all at all. What we say is here are the issues - where we have had answers we have given some but we are also going to be getting more detailed in-depth info and publishing seperate news articles in the next week or so to cover each item in depth.

What we do try to do is be balanced and listen to all sides and represent the views as fairly as possible.

We have been very strong and vocal in our discussions with PlusNet about most of the issues in the news article - and we will be taking these further in the follow-up articles once we can pin the relevant people down and get clear, concise answers.
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 07:51:29 pm »

How about calling a spade a spade  ..??

As an example:
I cannot see a single user that would be happy being moved to a LLU network thus causing issues moving away without downtime and expense..

Doest appear that the "usergroup" minds it though.  (at least that is how the article reads)

How about asking PlusNet to suspend the transistions until there is a "opt" out policy in place .. I'm pretty sure that many people are praying for their 12months to come up - in order to leave traffic shaping hell, however they are going to be shoved onto a network just before they want to leave.

Of course that was just one of what appears to be many issues that there are at present, yet it appears (reading the article at least) your happy with PlusNet and its actions.

I'm sure users wouldnt agree....

yorkie_pudd

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 09:25:44 pm »

Is there any chance that the PUG could suggest to PN that, rather than an 'opt out' they could possibly let users know say, 7 days in advance of any cease/reprovide, so that we then have the option of either accepting the transfer to LLU or getting a MAC.

Also, now they have introduced a 'premium rate' support line, they provide a geographical (01xxx) number so that anyone who really does need the support can at least get it for (in most cases) free - the guidelines would not be affected by this.

Both of the above would go some way to allaying most users fears - after all, it should be 'give' and 'take', not just 'take' and 'take'.
wildmind
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 09:34:42 pm »

Quote from: yorkie_pudd
Is there any chance that the PUG could suggest to PN that, rather than an 'opt out' they could possibly let users know say, 7 days in advance of any cease/reprovide, so that we then have the option of either accepting the transfer to LLU or getting a MAC.

Yup - will do... the lack of notification before a cease has been placed is of major concern - especially whilst there isn't a migration route back to IPStream.

Also, now they have introduced a 'premium rate' support line, they provide a geographical (01xxx) number so that anyone who really does need the support can at least get it for (in most cases) free - the guidelines would not be affected by this.

We can certainly ask laugh
Liam

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 11:26:44 pm »

Quote from: wildmind

We can certainly ask laugh

IIRC this was in the pipeline for when Plusnet's shiny new phone system is rolled out.

Liam Martin
PlusNet UserGroup Member & Ex-PlusNet Comms Team Staffer!
BBYW & Business Premier User | DG834G Lover
Wormeries
Matt

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 02:31:15 pm »

A turn in the right direction, I think this has been worth waiting for. Anybody that moans now should really be shot lol

At the end of the day, PlusNET have had alot going on, and they seem to have quite a small team so fair does... im happy

Regards

Matt  laugh
Penny

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 02:50:17 pm »

Quote from: Matt
A turn in the right direction, I think this has been worth waiting for.

Agreed, Matt Wink significant progress.

For anyone that hasn't seen these yet, today's news articles on LLU and DSL Max are on line on the PUG website - latest on Tiscali LLU is at http://usergroup.plus.net/index.php?a=3&id=90 and the DSL Max update is at http://usergroup.plus.net/index.php?a=3&id=91 .

Regards,

Penny.

Ultra

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 03:11:40 pm »

Quote from: Matt
A turn in the right direction, I think this has been worth waiting for. ...  At the end of the day, PlusNET have had a lot going on

Seconded.  I think the team at PN, and members of PUG, all deserve a few drinks, as they seem to have come up with solutions which should mean customers unhappy with progress on DSL Max and LLU now have some alternative options.  

Hopefully the next time such major changes are being planned, there will be far more discussion beforehand, and (assuming some of the concerns raised by customers had also been raised earlier by PUG) more discussion of such concerns before "going ahead anyway" which one might assume happens...

We'll never know quite what went back from PUG to PN about these matters, nor how much advanced notice the PUG was given, but I hope for staff and customer sanity that we don't get into another situation like this again.
biondani

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 04:00:35 pm »

We did raise our concerns at the start but the reaction was a lot worse than some of us did expect. Thankfully sense prevailed and Plusnet listened to both us and the other forums.

Ian

3rd Line Wintel Support
Virgin Media XXL Customer
Penny

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 04:58:32 pm »

Quote from: NetGuy
Seconded.  I think the team at PN, and members of PUG, all deserve a few drinks ....

appreciate the sentiments ;)

Quote from: NetGuy
We'll never know quite what went back from PUG to PN about these matters ...

more than you might think ;) the advantage of being "behind closed doors" is that both PUG and PN can say exactly what they think and often things get thrashed out here without anyone "outside PUG/PN" subsequently being any the wiser about the no-holds-barred nature of the discussions.

trouble is those doors between the public and private PUG forums tend to be pretty well soundproofed .... :) maybe they need to be! but I'm pretty sure PN would admit that we "give 'em hell" from time to time ;)

Regards,

Penny.

yorkie_pudd

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 11:17:22 pm »

Well, I for one would like to think that the PUG did have much to do with this change of heart (thanks for the replies by the way, nice to know my points were read).

Good on yer, I say (may be a little too late for me though - burned bidges, and all that!)
robstreats

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 08:42:41 pm »

Having read this post, I have to confess to being confused. 3 days ago my line was upgraded to 'BT IPStream Max'. It was very erratic to start with but seems to be settling down a bit to-day (around 6-6.5Mbs).
So what are my options now:- can or should I opt out of LLU? Or am I past the point of no return as I am already upgraded. I cannot grasp the pros and cons of the choice. I think it unlikely that I shall want to move away from Plusnet but who knows what the future may offer!
petervaughan
Usergroup Member

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 09:01:34 pm »

Just because you have been upgraded to DSLmax does not mean you won't be switched to LLU at some point in the future so if you don't want that to happen opt-out now.
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: