Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Webstats
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Webstats  (Read 15084 times)
dgdclynx
« on: February 28, 2006, 11:13:53 am »

For the second time in a week Webstats havent arrived. The first time it happened they were lost. Could people report if their stats are missing and say if they are portal or logs please. And do put in a ticket.
jelv1

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 01:56:26 pm »

Portal stats say "Generated 28-Feb-2006 01:04 GMT" - however there's no data for the 27th showing.

jelv
jelv1

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 02:03:43 pm »

Quote from: dgdclynx
And do put in a ticket.

Done: 18816392

jelv
jelv1

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 02:04:59 pm »

Is Penny on the case yet? She usually gets upset when the stats go missing.

jelv
biondani

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 02:15:16 pm »

Yes she is definitely on the case.

Ian

3rd Line Wintel Support
Virgin Media XXL Customer
dgdclynx
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 03:35:53 pm »

Quote from: jelv1
Portal stats say "Generated 28-Feb-2006 01:04 GMT" - however there's no data for the 27th showing.

Advanced webstats on the portal havent arrived yet.
jelv1

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 03:40:51 pm »

01:04 GMT is a highly suspicious time - it never runs that early.

Unless of course it was whizzing through the processing of loads of empty files cry

jelv
dgdclynx
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 07:15:08 pm »

01:04 GMT is a highly suspicious time - it never runs that early.

Unless of course it was whizzing through the processing of loads of empty files cry

These days it usually runs around 4 o'clock.
Penny

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 10:58:31 pm »

Is Penny on the case yet? She usually gets upset when the stats go missing.

Bit teed off at the missing stats, yes :) Douglas kindly raised this here as I'm somewhat tied up elsewhere right now.

Well this is interesting, because mine say 27-Feb-2006 04:40 GMT, so the run didn't happen at all on the PHC account today, it doesn't seem.

On the still-running ticket (3 lots of webstats-no-shows this month, though the first one appeared subsequently) someone in support has now picked up on the intermittent 404s with seeing the webstats page at all, are you experiencing this also? That's been happening here the last couple of months but seems to be a separate issue from the Webstats not actually being generated.

Hopefully both problems will get sorted fairly shortly; may not be around for a while to even see what's happening with the stats(possible/impending house move, long story) but I'll get back here whenever I can.

Regards,

Penny.

Penny Rollo       Force 9 from 17/02/98       PlusNet from 2000 onwards     
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages http://www.happychild.org.uk
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
dgdclynx
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »

Apparently (from p.s.c-f) somebody phoned up technical support to ask what was going on and was told he couldnt have webstats cos he was on broadband (only true if he is on +),

Regarding the 404s I am glad that PN have finally acknowledged there is a problem.
dgdclynx
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 10:28:42 am »

This is what I just wrote in p.s.c-f....

What I am wondering is whether PNs headlong dive for the cheap mass market
is behind this. There must be under a hundred of us who want webstats every
morning whereas they are recruiting thousands of Broadband Plus users every
month. I fear webstats may be an endangered species. I have files of
webstats from previous ISPs etc going back ten years and it would be sad if
it were all to end. The thought of moving my webpages (370+) to another ISP
is horrendous. Reestablishing on google would be an impossible nightmare.
But thats the way the wind blows.
Ultra

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 01:07:58 pm »

The thought of moving my webpages (370+) to another ISP is horrendous.

But surely you have them all backed up for security, so uploading the pages on separate hosting should be no problem, really.  If you don't have them backed up, how would you cope if there was a drive failure at PN ?

Links should be made "relative" so you'd only show "/index.html" not "http...../index.html" and then that would work whatever the domain name part.

Quote from: dgdclynx
Reestablishing on google would be an impossible nightmare.

Ah, then others should learn from this and get themselves domain names, rather than depend on the ISP's domain in the web links.  If a site just gets too busy, and falls foul of PN's web traffic limits, or if there is ever something one needs which cannot be supported under PN's hosting, then there'd be few options left except to move host. 

I know you're unlikely to do so (because of the links already established, though those could be adapted a section at a time to show a domain name, still hosted at PN, to let Google and other search engines learn the new URL), but it would make sense to use a domain name, for anyone else to do, literally from day one of starting a website.
dgdclynx
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 04:44:33 pm »

Netguy, I had only a couple of days to transfer the website when I got kicked off so I had no choice but to hardwire so I could get my forwarding started to retain my Google slots. It is a warning to others, as you say.

dgdclynx
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 04:48:57 pm »

Netguy, I had only a couple of days to transfer the website when I got kicked off so I had no choice but to hardwire so I could get my forwarding started to retain my Google slots. It is a warning to others, as you say.

Now I remember I did look at the price of getting a domain from PN but it was too expensive. And I had no time to explore other alternatives.
biondani

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 05:46:50 pm »

I still think www.macdomains.net offer a great deal for anyone looking for a domain.

Ian

3rd Line Wintel Support
Virgin Media XXL Customer
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: