Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » Welcome to the PlusNet UserGroup Forums!!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome to the PlusNet UserGroup Forums!!!  (Read 24120 times)
wildmind
« on: January 12, 2006, 10:39:27 pm »

They've been a long time coming (for which we are sorry) but at long last we are pleased to launch the PlusNet UserGroup (PUG) forums.

Since starting out in October 2004 we've developed a great working relationship with PlusNet and get a lot of "behind-the-scenes" staff visiting as well as the usual suspects we see elsewhere.

We are eager to see these forums grow, develop and become a lively community for discussion of any and all PlusNet (and PUG) issues with any customers of the PlusNet family.

We are currently working on a privacy policy and terms & conditions for the site and the forums but in a nutshell here are some promises and some "guidelines"

Your Privacy
We will not pass on or sell any user information. Short and sweet.

Guidelines for using the forums
1) Be considerate to all users - Tony Blair may be going on about "Respect" right now but that is key to these forums. Respect for each other, respect for members of PUG and respect for members of the staff
2) No obscene or offensive content will be allowed in any posts! We're not going to censor every post (at the moment) but if things get out of hand we will edit posts and may well impose bans
3) Please keep posts on topic and relevant - we don't want things going around in circles all the time but we are here for open and clear discussion and debate.
4) If you feel that a user or topic is upsetting the balance of the forums please send a private message to any member of the usergroup (you can spot us as we are the ones whose names appear in Red and we have a "Usergroup Member" tag on our posts)

If we feel that any of the guidelines are being bent, broken or ignored we reserver the right to temporarily or permenantly ban users - although we hope it never happens!

We are excited about these forums - and so are PlusNet.... we hope you are too!

Please note: These are rough guidelines until we get a proper privacy policy and T&Cs published so we may add other guidelines as time goes on. We hope you understand this.
Liam

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 02:29:21 pm »

Well hello there!

This is good to see! And nice site design also.

Look forward to speaking to you guys.

Liam Martin
PlusNet UserGroup Member & Ex-PlusNet Comms Team Staffer!
BBYW & Business Premier User | DG834G Lover
Wormeries
biondani

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 02:31:33 pm »

Welcome as the first non-PUG poster Liam.

Ian

3rd Line Wintel Support
Virgin Media XXL Customer
wildmind
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 02:36:31 pm »

Quote from: Liam
Well hello there!

This is good to see! And nice site design also.

Look forward to speaking to you guys.

embarassed Why Thank'ee kind sir  embarassed

There are a couple of glitches to iron out on the site and we have a new logo coming in the next few days but it's nice to see it running live (CSS development  shocked It's a killer!!!)
Liam

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 02:41:53 pm »

You're not wrong Mike. CSS is the future though - and makes things easier in the long run. And Ian, which Ian are you?

laugh

Liam Martin
Wormeries
wildmind
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 02:42:51 pm »

Dunno about CSS making life easier huh Maybe when everyone agrees on how the rendering should work Wink
biondani

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 02:44:47 pm »

Ian Biondani, known as blobster, mrblobby, biondani, the lazy sh*t in the corner etc.

Nickname: biondani/blobster/mrblobby
Which ISP: PlusNet 2Mb Premier
Interests: IT, Websites, PUG
Gotta Life?: I wish

Ian

3rd Line Wintel Support
Liam

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 02:52:41 pm »

Hehe.... well good afternoon to 'ya

Liam Martin
Wormeries
Oldjim

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 03:33:52 pm »

Really happy to see this interaction. The announcements up to now have all been of great interest - long may it continue.
I would also add that the BB+ usage figures are really surprising mainly at the bottom end.  I would never have believed that broadband users would have such low usage figures.
biondani

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 03:48:06 pm »

It's suprising that they are so low, but then again some people only use broadband to view websites and the basic email here and then. Take my parents for example, they don't have broadband yet but are looking to get it and if their usage is over 300MB a month I would be suprised.

Ian

3rd Line Wintel Support
John

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 08:37:49 am »

Quote from: wildmind
Maybe when everyone agrees on how the rendering should work Wink

Hello to everybody  Smiley .

I know one platform that doesn't render etomite properly; pointed out by Simon (pr100), the apple mac machine operating the IE5 browser!

Just thought I would share that gem with you all wink .

Have you any plans for an introduce the PUG team, like this example on Plusnetters?

Seriously, well done on the site: it should be a good place to visit.

John
AKA theattic on the other place.
wildmind
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 08:22:53 pm »

Quote from: John
I know one platform that doesn't render etomite properly; pointed out by Simon (pr100), the apple mac machine operating the IE5 browser!

Yeah - I saw the info on the Mac and Eto but that relates to the Alexis Redux template I believe. I did get somebody to test it on a Mac at my workplace and the new template did look OK so hopefully the CSS rendering in Mac IE5 can cope with the new site  rolleyes
ske1fr

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 09:11:31 pm »

Evening all.  I've just awoken the clapped-out laptop from it's usual duff-BIOS-battery stupor and changed Shorewall from ppp0 to eth0, so I can see this news.

Well done, all concerned.  It's rendering nicely in Konqueror.  An old K, because if I remember rightly this machine is running Mandrake 10.0.  No hacks please, it's flaky enough.  And reloadable.

I'll try not to get confused between wildmind and ianwild...

EDIT:  Oh, bad idea to send activation emails with passwords in plaintext, but a quick change is all that's required.  Otherwise, top hole.

Andrew ske1fr, Plusnet Broadband Plus user
After /. anywhere is calmer...
John

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 10:06:57 pm »

Quote from: wildmind

... that relates to the Alexis Redux template I believe.

That would be the same 'Alexis Redux' template that both sites are built on, wouldn't it?

It was the IE5 browser that baffled me; would your friend be using IE5 as a browser on the apple mac machine?

I only ask because I'm interested, as you may have guessed.
 wink

John
AKA theattic on the other place.
wildmind
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 10:10:51 pm »

John,

The PUG site used to be based on Alexis but it's now our own custom template written totally in CSS (W3C valid CSS and XHTML as well laugh)

Alexis is an absolutely brilliant looking template - I love it personally and use it on my own website - but we wanted to be able to make the site fille more of the page (full width) and wanted a bit more flexability with it.... it's also nice to have a CSS based design rather than a table based layout.

(There is a CSS version of Alexis you may be interested in over on the etomite forums - I asked if somebody could create one and Jeroen created one for me)
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: